SAU Community

Buggy Ecu = Hunting Issue?

Long story short, Sisters R33 S2 has been hunting for a few years and slowly getting worse to the point that it stalls but only when it warms up.

She decided to buy a tunable ECU and get the tuner to fix hunting issue before getting it tuned. Ordered Power FC, it arrived and I installed it in her car. Turn car on, it sounded better than it has ever sounded. Jumped in it, took it for a drive, felt great. Had more power, hardly back fired, was like a different car. Got to operating temp, not hunting, no stalling, idle was rock solid. Gave it a big rev, let revs drop, didnt go lower than 900rpm. Bloody awesome. My sister is over the f**king moon :D

With original ECU, the car is undrivable once car hits operating temp.

What could have caused the ECU to become so corrupt? So strange.

doubt its the ECU...more likely another fault that has been tuned around with new ECU...simple vacumn leak or faulty AAC or something...

Did you attempt any sort of diagnosis or just decided it needs a tune, then found out you cant tune a stock ecu so bought a new one..

Yeah its been an on going issue. I have checked it with the consult cable and had no errors come up. Checked all the vac lines, checked tps, pcv. She did get a new timing belt installed at Jap performance a while ago and the hunting went away for a while and then came back.

Shit..hope the hunting doesn't return lol.

I've seen 3x R33s (including mine) do the same thing.. usually happens with a faulty narrowband O2.. with a wideband sniffer on the end, the AFRs (when warm) dropped to about 11:1 and bouced all over the shop.. then when the factory O2 was unplugged it would jump to about 13 on idle.

Just an observation.

Long story short, Sisters R33 S2 has been hunting for a few years and slowly getting worse to the point that it stalls but only when it warms up.

She decided to buy a tunable ECU and get the tuner to fix hunting issue before getting it tuned. Ordered Power FC, it arrived and I installed it in her car. Turn car on, it sounded better than it has ever sounded. Jumped in it, took it for a drive, felt great. Had more power, hardly back fired, was like a different car. Got to operating temp, not hunting, no stalling, idle was rock solid. Gave it a big rev, let revs drop, didnt go lower than 900rpm. Bloody awesome. My sister is over the f**king moon :D

With original ECU, the car is undrivable once car hits operating temp.

What could have caused the ECU to become so corrupt? So strange.

you drove the car for 'years' with it running like that???

...'hardly backfired'

Yeikes...