SAU Community

R33 Reverse Lights Not Working!

choombs

Hey guys, I know there are heaps of threads about this already. But none have solved my problem. I have put a multi on the switch and it is good and bulbs are good. Was just wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram and know where the fuse is located?

Theres a plug in the engine bay, just in front of the fuse/relay box. It joins the gearbox harness to the rest of the car. Mine was dirty and my reverse lights sometimes went funny then all of a sudden stopped

Simplistically, I would imagine the following:

Switch at the g/box

globe at the rear of car

fuse in the engine bay

and wiring to join it all together...

If you've multi'd the switch (when closed!), checked that the globes actually light up under a power source, then there is only the the wiring and the fuse to check.

That being said, did you check the switch for continuity? I found with my box/switch (R33 RB25), the only way I could verify that the switch was good was using a test light and a mini 12V battery.

Multimeter did not display/sound continuity unless powered!

Edited by R32Abuser

My reverse lights work for a second when I put it into reverse then go off. Not sure what it is they used to work when I pulled and held the gear leaver back but now they only work for the second when I first put it into reverse. Any one had this before? Thanks

Locate - Yes.

Troubleshoot - depends on how mechanically/electrically minded you are!

There is a plug at the reverse switch (on the gearbox) and in the engine bay where it joins back into the wiring loom.

Ground - I'd have to take a look and the wiring diagram to see exactly where the circuit is grounding. Something I neither have the time or the patience for at this time of the night.

Edited by R32Abuser

I had a issue with the reverse light switch on the gearbox being faulty, cost about 150 bucks to fix.

OP has already said he has tested the switch and it is O.K.

After checking everything again, still couldn't find the fault >.

What did you "check" and how?

He also checked everything and still doesn't work. ....

Something isn't being checked correctly.

Agreed.

As I said above, I had issues testing the circuit without having reverse selected and powered. Otherwise I got nothing...

Edited by R32Abuser

I've had the wiring diagram out

There is a plug at the tail-lights (obviously), a plug drivers side top front of boot (this may be out of sight inside the guard, I'm not real sure), the plug at the front which I mentioned before and then the plug at the switch on the gearbox

I cant find what fuse it is tee-ed off, but there are a fair few things powered off the same circuit like the de-fogger relay (rear window) so if thats working I dare say the power source is O.K.

Basically just need to test the switch, or bridge out the plug to eliminate the switch completely. Get the lights working without the switch and then you can see if the switch works. If you have power at the switch harness, then the earth is at the tail lights. If you have all the other lights + number plate lights then Earth is most likely not your problem, the Earth is common to all of them.

OP has already said he has tested the switch and it is O.K.

My switch could test fine to, i could also wiggle the gear stick while in reverse and get reverse lights going for a few seconds. Was very weird new switch fixed it. No idea if that's OP problem. Just a thought