SAU Community

Advice Needed

soulfood187

Hello all mechanical minded people. I need advice on the next stage of the stag journey.

I am torn on what to do next. I have some funds available and want to know basically if I should go the full rebuild?

Some background. The car has a high flowed turbo, exhaust etc. I am looking at a reliable daily. I was thinking of doing the following:

Shift kit

New front mount. Old one is seriously ineffecient. Anyone has any thoughts on what to get?

Poncams to assist in spooling up

Brake upgrade. Going to go R32 GTR hopefully.

Seats

Retune of Nistune.

Sway bars.

Injectors

Anything else I could do. Happy with the power just want it a bit more usable. As the motor has 140k on it should I get the rebuild? It is a stretch on the wallet but if it advisable to save some down the track I could work it out.

Thanks

Rob

In order to give useful advice it would be good to know what you use the car for. Do you track it or drag it?

Also your current mods include an etc - what's that?

If you look after it and get a good tune it could do another couple of 100,000km so I wouldn't be pulling the motor out just yet.

Thanks guys. The car will be a daily, no plans to track etc just want a powerful family car.

Current mods are:

High flowed GCG turbo

FMIC

Nistune

Boost Controller

Pod etc

BC coilovers

Full exhaust with Split dumps

I think that is it at the moment. I want to be sure the car is reliably and quick.

Thanks

I bought this HDi kit : http://www.performance-wise.com/USERIMAGES/procart11.htm

If you have stock injectors you may need to upgrade (see Scotty for some to suit your Neo engine) and also get a Z32 afm

Then a retune....do not scrimp on the tune - its the key to nice performance and long life.

Not sure that Poncams will get it boosting earlier so I would spend the money elsewhere.

GTT or GTR brakes would be nice but most important is new brake fluid, brake lines, a MC stopper and some good pads.

If you have stock sway bars heavier replacements (see Dale) will transform the boat like cornering. After that a set of Bilsteins would be nice (don't get too stiff springs - in fact you could keep the stockers).

If you are not going manual then beefing up the auto is advisable!

I bought this HDi kit : http://www.performance-wise.com/USERIMAGES/procart11.htm

If you have stock injectors you may need to upgrade (see Scotty for some to suit your Neo engine) and also get a Z32 afm

Then a retune....do not scrimp on the tune - its the key to nice performance and long life.

Not sure that Poncams will get it boosting earlier so I would spend the money elsewhere.

GTT or GTR brakes would be nice but most important is new brake fluid, brake lines, a MC stopper and some good pads.

If you have stock sway bars heavier replacements (see Dale) will transform the boat like cornering. After that a set of Bilsteins would be nice (don't get too stiff springs - in fact you could keep the stockers).

If you are not going manual then beefing up the auto is advisable!

Thanks Bob!

Absolutely #soulfood187, feel free to drop me a PM when you're looking at swaybars; I can definitely help you there.

Thanks guys. Which HDi kit dis you get? The 34 and modified the piping? Funnily enough I just arranged the injectors with Scotty. Just waiting on Aus Post. Dale I will PM you as it is on the list. Do you think just doing thw lines etc will be enough braking power? To me the pedal feelnis quite vague compared to even a Holden Cruz so that was the idea aroind the brake upgrades.

Cheers Rob

Thanks guys. Which HDi kit dis you get? The 34 and modified the piping? Funnily enough I just arranged the injectors with Scotty. Just waiting on Aus Post. Dale I will PM you as it is on the list. Do you think just doing thw lines etc will be enough braking power? To me the pedal feelnis quite vague compared to even a Holden Cruz so that was the idea aroind the brake upgrades.

Cheers Rob

I got the R33 kit but I have a FFP. You should be able to adapt the R34 kit with maybe a few more elbows etc. You may need a thinner aircond fan (I just angled the fmic a bit and tidied the wiring).

You only really need upgraded calipers and rotors for repeated hard stops (as on the track) so for street use you should be able to improve the feel by replacing the fluid with e.g. Motul RBF600, braided lines, a MC stopper and some decent street pads (but inspect pistons and M/C for leaks).

Just buy a just jap return flow cooler for c34 will be ample for what you need! What size injectors did you get?? Have you up graded your fuel pump yet , a shift kit would be the first stop on the list with your current mods , no need for cams , or a rebuild it's a neo god tune and you will be safe as houses ,you will also want a hard intake pipe but don't spend 300+ dollars on one lol and a z32 or the new afm from Nistune , what state you in mate

NSW. Have the Z32... forgot to mention it. It currently has a FMIC that is not return flow... There is a large pressure drop across the core hence the replacing it. Fuel pump was done.

I need to get the Valve bodies out and down to MV to do the shift kit. None to order at the moment and 8 others waiting in front. As soon as I get everything together I will take it off the road, have the mech rip out the valve body and get it sent down. They reckon it should be back within a few days so I could live with that.

I went the 525cc injectors as I am not chasing much more pawer, and have no plans for a turbo upgrade in the future. My wife still drives the car with a 2 year old in it so this will be as far as she will let me take it.

Cheers

Rob