SAU Community

Daioni's life in (really) rural japan - photo thread

DaiOni

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you doing JETS? I've put some thought into that after uni. Those rural areas are really beautiful, how much does airfare run from one of the main islands? Any passenger ferries run the route? I might be doing some backpacking this summer, funds and time permitting I might make it to Japan again (winter), via the overland route.

Did you ever see the 3L cans of brew? Last time I was in Japan (March) I bought a 2L of Asahi Super Dry thinking "cool souvenier, biggest beer can". Then on my last morning, grabbing breakfast at a convenience store near the hostel on the way to Narita, I spied 3L denominations of Super Dry and Kirin Ichiban. I picked up the Ichiban for 2100yen, but wound up pouring most of it out before I got to customs. I wish I had a pic, but both are sitting at my parents place, a considerable distance away.

My mate got a $40 bottle of sake poured out right in front of him at customs, being 19. I'm from the United States, originally.

I can only speak for myself - a jetfoil takes 45 minutes to the mainland, 2 hours 15 minutes or so for the car ferry. Both are relatively inexpensive (the car ferry in particular - as long as you aren't taking a car!). There is also a small plane route. It's the 5th largest of the japanese islands, so you won't get that sort of service in most places.

As a jet you can't pick placement - so you have to be lucky (or unlucky, for many), to get an island placement.

In my experience, the 1L can is the biggest of the 'true' cans of beer - the rest being aluminium 'bottles' or mini kegs.

I thought you got a preference... that's what the website led me to believe. They weren't making any promises, but they were promising to try is what it looked like.

I'd be taking the ferry, if I get as far as Japan, money will not be my friend. Which port(s) do the boats leave from? I'd probably be arriving by boat from Shanghai in Kobe or Osaka, and visiting a friend from back home living in ***uoka. He's a Mormon over there trying to convert heathen Japanese for the next two years, which I guess that's another way to get there.

That's true, it was a can-shaped bottle (screw cap). I did see those mini kegs, complete with the little tap. Man, I miss Japan :P

And remember when all cop cars including unmarked ones were easily spotted having all the same 88 plates. Well not anymore, they been using normal plates for a while now and one of the all new 2004 unmarked car for the Osaka Police is a VQ25DET Stagea...it will be all too late when the disco lights are out :P.

2033CIMG4098-25-thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

has he swapped his turban for a kimono?

is he going to kill the infidel whom he now calls gaijin with dodgy imports that drive themselves into office buildings?

we will see the us military on the news soon with their satellite photos of some jap guys backyard the headlines will be: "is osama hiding in the local japanese guys outdoor beer cave"

:bahaha:

"OSAMA FOUND PISSED IN JAPANESE BEER CAVE" :D

or

"WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS TERRORITST FOUND WEARING A DRESSING GOWN"