SAU Community

Rb30/26 Engine Mounting Kit For S30

rigez

Sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong forum. I figure this is the best place since its related to the RB30. I saw a post that linked to a Aussie speed shop that has a production engine mount kit tailored for the Datsun/Nissan S30s. Can someone point me in the right direction or repost that link on this thread?

Never mind I found it with a Google search. Castlemaine Rod Shop. Any feedback regarding this kit would be appreciated. There are a couple of shops here in The US that have a similar offering but, I'd rather buy from an Aussie shop as the rb30 is not a rarity like it is in the US and speed shops obviously have more experience with it. :)

I haven't used, but have heard many good things about Castlemaine.

They are A LOT bigger then when they started out.

You don't get that big from doing crap work.

Hopefully someone will have actual experience with the kit and chime in.

I'm almost at the end of doing an RB26/30 conversion into my S30 with an R34 GTT gearbox.

I bought the Castlemaine Rod Shop gearbox mount to suit and it was complete rubbish. It was designed for a car with completely different chassis rails. We modified it and made it fit but I still wasn't happy with it. It didn't allow room for the exhaust to go through so you would end up with the exhaust basically dragging on the ground, and it used the under floor chassis rails for strength which are quite thin and flimsy on an S30. I ended up chucking it in the bin and making my own with a completely different design. I e-mailed Castlemaine Rod Shop about the issues with photos showing why it didn't fit and I received no reply. I've only heard good things about their products from other people so maybe I was just unlucky but I definitely won't be dealing with them again.

I didn't use the Castelmaine Rod Shop engine mounts because I've heard they sit the engine a fair way forward from the firewall. I wanted the engine to sit as low and as far back as possible so I got a mate to fabricate some for me.

CRS kits........they kinda work

Like their LS1 into early commodore kits that sit the motor on an angle so the output yoke on the gearbox hits the side of the trans tunnel.

Or their LS1 starter relocation kits that aren't flat, and have the bolt holes no where near the right spot.

Etc etc

I'm almost at the end of doing an RB26/30 conversion into my S30 with an R34 GTT gearbox.

I bought the Castlemaine Rod Shop gearbox mount to suit and it was complete rubbish. It was designed for a car with completely different chassis rails. We modified it and made it fit but I still wasn't happy with it. It didn't allow room for the exhaust to go through so you would end up with the exhaust basically dragging on the ground, and it used the under floor chassis rails for strength which are quite thin and flimsy on an S30. I ended up chucking it in the bin and making my own with a completely different design. I e-mailed Castlemaine Rod Shop about the issues with photos showing why it didn't fit and I received no reply. I've only heard good things about their products from other people so maybe I was just unlucky but I definitely won't be dealing with them again.

I didn't use the Castelmaine Rod Shop engine mounts because I've heard they sit the engine a fair way forward from the firewall. I wanted the engine to sit as low and as far back as possible so I got a mate to fabricate some for me.

Shane,

Thanks for the feed back. The other day I spoke to one of my friends that worked at a speed shop that has done a few RB swaps. His feedback backups what you said. He said that they went with the Mckinney's solution. His comment about Castlemaine's kit was that flat metal would not hold up well to the torque that the RB30/26 combo would be putting to the car. He also said that a modified stock transmission carrier from a Z32 or R32/33 was best suited for the S30. I will go with his recommendation since he has done several RB swaps in S30s. Oh and he said he would give me a hand with the install. Can't refuse free help!

Good help is always handy when it comes to conversions!

Happy to take a pic of my gearbox mount for you if it's any help? Mine is quite simple but I believe it will be very strong as it uses the strength in the tunnel where the original mount was located.

• 2 weeks later...

Shane,

Thanks for the feed back. The other day I spoke to one of my friends that worked at a speed shop that has done a few RB swaps. His feedback backups what you said. He said that they went with the Mckinney's solution. His comment about Castlemaine's kit was that flat metal would not hold up well to the torque that the RB30/26 combo would be putting to the car. He also said that a modified stock transmission carrier from a Z32 or R32/33 was best suited for the S30. I will go with his recommendation since he has done several RB swaps in S30s. Oh and he said he would give me a hand with the install. Can't refuse free help!

Please update on how you go with the McKinney kit as I am planning an RB25 swap down the line for my s30. It says on their website that it should be okay for RHD vehicles as well which is why I'm leaning toward their setup. Are you using their wiring loom harness as well or getting one custom wired?