SAU Community

Speed Reading Intermitently Working

After a bit of farting around it seems the sensor is dodgy.. And thanks also to the efforts of Andrew from Kudos Motorsport I'm certain the wreckers I got the sensor from supplied an r33 gtst sensor and mistaken it for a GTR sensor. Have a new sensor on order and should hopefully fix the problem

We have checked all wires right up to the cluster and it all seems in order. Tapping the speed sensor while its in gear the reading seems accurate, and best of all constant.. So something seems dodgy inside the sensor itself. Bit of a f**k around which could have been avoided if i had the right sensor but such is life

Thanks everyone for the help. Will inform you if the problem is resolved when sensor arrives

• 1 year later...

Any luck solving the problem?

ive got a very similar issue. Nismo white dials. Speedo dial just randomly decides when it wants to work or not. 

Dials were converted from kmh to mph in 2005. Can't see any obvious wiring on the back to change the signal other than the aerial switch which seems to be wired into the loom going onto the back of the speedo connector. 

Was it the sensor on the gearbox? I might try a new one of them

IMG_4050.JPG

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2015 at 2:12 AM, 89CAL said:

O.K I have had issues in this area before with my reverse lights. They worked intermittently (funnily enough) and I bought a new reverse switch but discovered the problem before I put the new switch in. Reverse lights would flicker on and off etc

I've circled the speed sensor plug (top of drawing circled in black) and the plug I had problems with (was just dirty, cleaned it up, checked connections were good)

Speed%20Sensor%201_zps4tabhxa6.jpg

And in the next one it shows the same thing but in a wiring schematic, just so its easier to work out which wire is which. Its pretty easy looking at the plug to work out which wires are which. Just hold the plug and look at it in relation to which side of the plug on the drawing. If you need a hand I can help anyway. Ive marked around the plugs and put dots where the wires for the speed sensor are

Speed%20Sensor%202_zpsdw7my6wi.jpg

Just found this as well, shows the speed sensor drawing as well

SpeedSensor_zpsdcee4377.jpg

yes 89 Cal!

That top diagram is brilliant.  I just disconnected a connector that you circled at the bottom next to the relay housing this morning before work - it was absolutely full of white gunk.  solvent sprayed it a load and my clocks worked perfectly on the way to work. I'll give the plug a really good clean up later on.

I took the clocks out last night and got the speedo off, then resoldered the four connections between the motor and the circuit board by just dabbing the soldering iron onto it.  I don't reckon this is the smoking gun though - I think it is the connector that you circled.

If anyone has a speedo that's really intermittent then check the connector between the screen wash fluid and the box full of relays (front left of engine bay).  Give it a thorough clean.

Cheers

onto the next problem... high idle and damp headlights!

Edited by CraigoGTR33
typo