SAU Community

R33 Ecu Identification

Hey Guys just wondering if anyone can give me some info on ECUs hope this is the right section

ive recently purchased a 95 33 GTS-t and the guy that i got it from wasnt really sure what the previous owner had done, but he was fairly certain it had a Z32 afm and a highflow turbo
ive done some searching and the orange sticker on the AFM suggests it is a Z32 and the turbo has also been highflowed

today i decided to pull the ECU out and have a look to see what has been done to run the Z32 as it is my understanding that it has to be tuned to run correctly but from what i can find and see the ECU is stock as a rock, number on the front says its from a manual s1.5/2 33 which is correct but im not really sure what im looking for inside

ill add some photos to this post

any help greatly appreciated

post-139550-0-77334400-1427367439_thumb.jpg

post-139550-0-86257200-1427367457_thumb.jpg

post-139550-0-27815000-1427367497_thumb.jpg

It is possible to burn a tune for an R33 ECU. There's no obvious sign that this has been done on yours though.

It is not possible to run a bigger AFM on a stock ECU unless you get a coincidentally exactly right sized injector upgrade to go along with it, so at least the fuelling will be right and the ECU won't go into panic from too high a calculated TP (which comes from high AFM signal). So worth looking at your injectors too perhaps, to see if they're stock.

Your R33 ECU has been 'chipped' - you'll notice the chip labelled H8/534 is in a socket while the other is not, a dead giveaway that it's non standard. The factory ecu also has a foil sticker with the MEC code of the program eg MEC-R503A on the CPU - I've got half a dozen R33 ecu's in a pile here including one that has been socketed to compare to.

There is only a few companies that can do it as you need to firstly fit the 54 pin socket and secondly the 'chip' on an R33 is actually the processor - the memory and CPU on an R33 ecu is one and the same. The CPUs aren't cheap to buy (last I checked are no longer available) and you can only burn the program once so you want to make sure you get it right. As far as figuring out what your ecu has been set up for the only way to do it would be to connect it up and download the ROM image through the consult port with NissanDataScan or Nistune (provided the tuner hasn't locked the rom download function) and compare the maps to stock R33.

Edited by XR Pilot
  • Like 2