SAU Community

Timing Belt Issue

Page34

Hey everyone, repaired a blown water pump gasket on my na r34 now my timing belt is winning at a particualar engine idle speed , i have done some research and i believe its because i over mentioned the belt, i was having a look around, i can't see a easy way to adjust the tensioner, i would rather not pull everything apart again

anyone had a similar issue and got any advice?

Yes, heaps of people have over tensioned belts and caused a whine.

No, there is no way to access the tensioner easily, you knew that though right?

• Like 1

No, the hole doesn't look big enough to reach the Allen adjuster.

But who cares, the spring gives the belt's tension when setting up.

Most noisy idler problems are solved by backing off belt tension, not adding it.

Have to admit there's been a few times I've wished for a hole like that.

With my luck the socket would fall off then drop down in the bottom cover……….

"Have to admit there's been a few times I've wished for a hole like that.

With my luck the socket would fall off then drop down in the bottom cover………."

At least you wouldn't be worried about belt tension noise then..............so many other noises you wouldn't hear it !!! lol

The only advice I'd give the Op is just check and maybe try loosening the fan belts first and see if the noise goes away??? easier to do this and check if the noise isn't from one of them first. Of cause if it doesn't solve it then its the timing belt. Also new timing belts [assuming you did a kit and fitted new belt, idler and tensioner wheels..if not then you probably should have] are noiser than your old one so live with it for a bit and see if it beds in?

yeah i will check the other belts tomorrow, and i had the timing belt in before and must have fluke it getting the tension right the first time i put it in, the reason for pulling it off was that the water pump gasket blew so it all had to come off again so its not just a new belt noise