SAU Community

Engine Serial Number Matching Vin

Velict

I currently own an R32 GTR (just purchased) in Japan.

I was wondering how I go about matching the serial number stamp on the engine block, to the VIN number. The VIN number doesn't give any information about the engine serial number, only it's model / part number.

Yes I know where to find the engine block serial number. I have it.

Yes I have the VIN number.

How do I match them up?

The short answer is, to the best of my knowledge, you can't - there's nothing on FAST or anywhere else that keeps a record of the engine number matching the VIN.

You'll find the engine number listed on the Japanese export certificate, but the manufacturers also sell new, completely unstamped blocks, so there have been occasions where we've received cars with no engine number whatsoever and have had to stamp new numbers on there.

If you're acceding to a USA request for matching VIN and engine number documentation, mightn't just a copy of the state's registration with photos of your VIN and Engine# suffice? Does it have to be Japanese documentation ?

RAWS documentation from the Australian Government also has both numbers on the single sheet. I would have thought that pics of the VIN and Engine # on the car attached to the RAWS docs would be also convincing enough.