SAU Community

Tail Shaft Bolts

Brad13

Hey guys, have a LOT of trouble trying to crack the bolts where the tail shaft attaches to the diff on my R33 S2 (abs). We've got 1 out of 4 off, and the other 3 just won't budge. Cannot get a ring spanner on so we have to use open ended spanners and they're just slipping and rounding off the nuts.

We've tried soaking them in wd40 and have used a butane torch to heat them up but still no luck. Surely someone else has encountered this problem when changing the diff, if any one has tips I'd be extremely grateful!!

Edited by Brad13

I'm about 90% sure when we did mine we managed to get a ring spanner on one side. The other side sort of held itself. It took both me and my brother on the end of the spanner with another spanner locked into it for leverage for us to get them off. Hope this helps (if they aren't already rounded)

Pretty sure these were the ones I cut the spare thread off with an angle grinder, so I could get a ring spanner on the nut. I tried an open end spanner, but it was going to destroy the nuts. They were f**kin tight.

Edited by GeeDog

You can use a cold chisel, hit it hard on the side so it marks the head, then hit in the direction to undo, heavy hammer will help [emoji6]

Try just hitting the head of the bolt with a hammer also, it sometimes helps break the seal

Or a good large pair of vice grips

Edited by Gcjosh

Tried vise grips as well, even they were slipping. Ended up getting a grinder with plans to cut off the extra thread but a mate came up with an idea of grinding down a ring spanner to make it thinner. Got it straight on and managed to get them cracked, worked perfectly!

Thanks for all the tips guys!

• Like 1