SAU Community

Oil Pressure Sensor Install

So i have installed the adapter plate and pressure sensor. Haven't installed the gauge inside the cabin yet - but I did hook it up temporarily to check oil pressure. Minimum spec is 14psi @ idle, and 43psi @ 2000rpm. Mine read 20psi @ idle and 55psi @ 2000rpm so all good :thumbsup:

Hmmm can't find how to post a pic now....weird because I did in the first post?

No probs, it took some effort to find the right parts (and a good price) so this could save others some time.

The sandwich adapter:

http://www.shadowmotor.com.tw/en/product/Honda-R18A-K24A/SW40020.htmlthese guys referred me to:

http://shiftperformance.com.au/to purchase from. Its not listed on shiftperformance website so will need to email them. $64 delivered

This was the difficult part to find as most sandwich adapters are to large for our stock oil filters.

Koso mini 3 oil pressure:

http://japan.webike.net/products/21345818.html

All parts included. About $130 delivered. Most other places advertise this around the $260 mark. Also has adjustable low pressure warning.

The stock oil pressure switch for VQ35hr/VQ37vhr apparently only activates at around 5psi - far to low and has probably already caused damage by this stage.

All up pretty cheap insurance to monitor engine health

Edited by Rufus007

For me its just double insurance against any internal gasket failure..Oil pressure is critical for any engine. Even my dirty ol VE Holden V6 had a proper oil pressure sensor from factory which anyone can read from an OBDII device.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/99607-zed-owners-must-read-p0011-p0021-caused-by-oil-gallery-gaskets/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92590-hr-potential-oil-pressure-problem/page__st__40

Yes that's right it's supposed to supplement the factory one. Could probably install the new sensor in place of the switch but I'm not sure how the computer would respond.

The 350z and 370z have guages from factory but the v35 and v37 missed out on this

Yes that's right it's supposed to supplement the factory one. Could probably install the new sensor in place of the switch but I'm not sure how the computer would respond.

That's easy to answer. It's just a switch, not a variable output sensor. The computer won't respond any differently.

Do you think replacing the switch with a sensor and running the gauge from there would be a better option. Is there any downside to this method or is it just better all round by not having to use a sandwich plate?

Edited by Rufus007

Ah, so you're not putting in an adjustable switch in that sandwich plate, it's an actual variable sensor for a gauge? Sorry, I didn't take a look at the photo until now. Please ignore EVERYTHING I've said earlier.

In that case, you can't replace the stock one with that. A switch has two functions - on and off. Your sensor, on the other hand, actually gives you a reading of the pressure.

Stick to your original plan with the sandwich plate then. Regardless, oil pressure is oil pressure so wherever you tap into the system, you will have the same pressure readings. In my Nissan Maxima, I had the pressure switch and pressure sensor both working off the same point on the engine block using a VDO brass t-piece adaptor just because I had the clearance and it was convenient. I haven't taken a good look at the VQ block to see where the pressure switch is to determine the best course of action.

The smartest thing you did though was going electric instead of mechanical. That nylon line can fail and if it doesn't spew forth oil in your car's interior, you will definitely lose oil either way. Not good when you're away from home.

Edited by The Max

All good Max, not a problem at all. Yes I put in a sensor opposed to a switch so I could get a digital readout on engine 'health' for the lack of a better word. I only asked a few questions to find out what the frig you were talking about lol.

Merry NisMas all

I'm glad you did because I'm clearly a spastic. Sorry dude. That'll teach me not to look at things in absolute detail!

I read about the oil issues when I was looking into buying mine. I figure at 39,000km, I don't have much to worry about right now but at some point, I plan to put a sexy little Autometer Cobalt series unit in - either in the cup holder of the centre console or hidden under the ashtray panel, just exposing the display itself rather than the whole 2-1/16" dial. In which case, that adapter you've shown is a wise choice. The only thing that concerns me a little is whether or not you would need to keep a spare o-ring about, just in case if you end up unscrewing the adapter as you unscrew the filter during an oil change.

What are your thoughts on this, just from your observations so far?

All good man we are all on the same team here.

The koso mini guage fits into the ashtray well and I'll be able to close it flush when I eventually get around to a permanent install.

I prefer dial type (still digital tho) guages as they don't jump around as much as digital numbers, but hidden neatly in the ashtray is perfect.

I doubt an extra o ring is needed - I torqued the adapter down to 35Nm. Its a good solid oring also. Mishimoto specs their adapter at 47Nm. Oil filters are approx 10Nm. So far no leaks at all and I did use tape on the sensor thread also.

I imported with 47000km so not expecting probs anytime soon, I'm just a bit proactive like that. Its a small percentage of cars that problem happens to, and I bet good maintenance will help. I also think not flogging cold engines and sending oil pressures sky high would be a good idea.

Heh. Remote start to get it to 900RPM before driving off is a good start for me. By that stage, we're warm enough.

Good move with the teflon tape too. I use teflon paste but same deal really.

Post pics when it's all done and in action. This is a mighty fine idea.