SAU Community

Nismo 280km/h Speedo Cluster On Non Sat/nav 2003 V35 Possible?

I noticed there are Nismo instrument clusters for the earlier V35's, which show the speedo going up to 280km/h, as opposed to only 180km/h. (They also have the Nismo logo which looks awesome) However they apparently require the Sat/Nav package, which unfortunately the V35 I'm importing doesn't have. Does anyone know if it's absolutely essential to have the Sat/Nav package, or if there is another option for an aftermarket instrument cluster showing the speedo going above 180km/h? If not, I don't suppose it's possible to take out the Sat/Nav components from another V35, say one that is being scrapped for parts (Already seen two on gumtree which both have the Sat/Nav package) and get it working, has anyone ever tried this?

I'm not planning on taking it anywhere near 180 km/h on the street, but in the future it would be cool to have the option of tracking it once or twice for fun, so it would be useful to have the option of seeing speeds above 180km/h. Plus, having the Sat/Nav package just makes the car feel more "complete", even though it's not useful in Australia. (I understand the speed is also electronically limited to 180km/h but can be removed, would this be defectable?)

Sorry if these question has been answered elsewhere, couldn't find anything with the search function however. Thanks for any information!

P.S. My V35 has a manual transmission

Edited by Arycama

Haven't heard of any swap, try getting the model of the 280kph one and buy for ebay. If you can work a multimeter you might be able to hook it up but i think it uses a different loom to the 180kph. and don't worry about the speed, its not limited, and if you run turbos or superchargers it will go above 180kph

What? Where did you come from with that nonsense?

Are you referring to me saying that the Nismo cluster only working with the Sat/Nav version? It says so here:

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/1197

"**ONLY for MY2004/11 and before with genuine TV/DVD Navi equipped model."

As for the "limited to 180 km/h" part, I can't recall off the top of my head, but read that Japanese street cars are electronically limited to 180 km/h.

If either of the above are incorrect, let me know. Or were you referring to something else when you said "where did you come from with that nonsense"?

There are two models as the navigation model uses the dash for CAN data, to display the leaf etc. I think either should work in the non nav model, but don't quote me.

What does CAN data stand for?

What does CAN data stand for?

Controller Area Network. It is a fairly standard data bus used in most modern cars so each electronic component can communicate with each other. Some manufacturers use unique protocols, for some components, thus the vanilla type OBD2 readers won't talk to those components.

And as above.. the 'nonsense' statement was likely directed at the idea that these cars aren't limited to 180.. and the suggestion that the Nismo cluster uses a different connector.

The Series 2/3 cluster uses a different connector to the Series 1, but as long as you get the nismo cluster for the correct series, the connectors should be the same.

All JDM cars are limited to 180km/h by law in Japan. you will need an ECU reflash, or aftermarket ECU to remove this.

If either of the above are incorrect, let me know. Or were you referring to something else when you said "where did you come from with that nonsense"?

Not something else - someone else ... pretty much everything that Taine said. Takes a bit more than a multimeter and continuity testing to be sure you get it right. All Japanese vehicles are speed limited to 180km/h and as for having to use forced induction to see beyond 180km/h, well... (nah, I won't go there)

And CAN stands for Controller Area Network, used by a variety of equipment outside of the automotive realm as well, but it's all about carrying control data around in motor vehicles predominantly as a means of minimising the wiring required since every device transmits and listens on the same wires, waiting for its turn in accordance with the ID transmitted at the head of each data packet before it responds accordingly.

All good, thanks for the replies so far. How do I tell what series my V35 is? It's a 2003 350GT coupe. As far as I can tell, the nismo cluster is only for models before November 2004, after that the instrument panel was refined.

^^ this.. clusters are quite different. S1 has speedo and fuel gauge on the left, tacho and temp gauge on the right. S2/3 are the other way around.

I don't know if they actually made a nismo cluster for the S2/3?? someone might be able to correct me there.