SAU Community

Which type of lubricant for clutch fork?

Hi guys, I've got a clutch squeak happening from the clutch fork pivot pin after the car has been used for a while and it's gotten nice and hot with lots of clutch pedal movements. I've read through a lot of threads on SAU about clutch squeaks but these all pretty much apply to ball pivot style clutch forks where the way to fix it is to apply some grease to the ball. Since I have a late model R32 GTR, it has the pin style pivot point rather than a ball and so I don't think I can apply grease with my finger to lubricate it. I've tried using a silicone spray (Not a lot) since it's thin which made the clutch pedal smoother but after a longer period of time than before, I do get a slight squeak. No where near as bad as before though.

Which type of lubricant (and I'm assuming spray?) would be thick enough for this pivot point but still be able to penetrate the bore of where the pin sits?

Thanks.

Get a cheap artist brush and some Molybdenum grease. With the rubber boot off you can slightly separate the fork from the ball enough to poke the grease covered brush in between.

Thanks, using a brush is a good idea. I don't have a ball pivot though so it may not work. This is a setup from a R34 GTT, it's pretty similar to what I have.

ks2u9.jpg

Thanks, I've got some of that already so I'll give it a try. I probably could use some sort of oil if nothing else works but just gotta be careful it doesn't fling around.

Loos like i need to read things more carefully. Unfortunately sprays are the only option to be able to lube without taking gearbox out. You can get molybdenum dry film aerosol sprays that would stay wet long enough to wick into gaps though I think it can be expensive. Another option is copper anti seize aerosol which could also wick in to the pin to lubricate. 

No worries, yeah that's what I thought. I'm gonna try a lithium spray tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. But at least there's some other options.