SAU Community

WRX eater or beater?

J_J

A standard WRX is tuned to drop boost at high RPM which is why they don't make much power.

I can prove all of the times I listed

And I've beaten WRX's in my lightly modded Skyline, but I can't really quote that as evidence... if you could prove your statement, that'd be great though. :)

Edit: I actually just remembered that I'm sitting 10m away from a stock MY99 Rex owner. :) Unfortunately, no 4WD dynos here in Rocky. :(

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had a similar issue to a post before. A looser at uni had his daddy's new Ford GT a few weeks ago. He was going around talking crap that he could rip my car and any other car in the area, said he could do 12sec passes... Yeah right.

Anyways I finally ran into him one night and dragged this looser, and it was all over in a matter of seconds. I thought at higher speeds he might have me but he had no chance.

Anyway my point is you can argue all you want but kw's, power to weight etc, but usually it comes down to the driver.

Is it just me or is a stocko wrx incredibly quick... my mate has a 98 rexy and this thing hammers. He's beaten macked out 300zx's, 350z, silvias, lots of r33's, RX7 Series 6 Stock, many V8's and a few Hyundai's (hehehe)..... it hurst me to say this but his car is even quicker than my baby....

In answer to the original post to end this discussion about wrx's on a skylines forum !!! I would find it unlikely that a stock wrx can beat “macked out 300zx's, 350z, silvias, lots of r33's” Or unless you need to re-classify the word stock. As in no mods done straight from factory ?? Am I rite in saying that? Because I sure know that a stock wrx vs a modified skylines and salvia will more then likey loose.

HAHA love to hear stories like that ... nothing is better than blowing the doors off cars like that ... especially after the tossa talks it up to anything with ears!

ok, after reading all 5pages i am :confused:

I have race a few wrx, but have come off second best, all of the times was cuz of my lunch i gave it too much rpm and it would spin like crazy (crappy tyres :)) or i wouldnt give it enough and by the time i got it going the wrx was long gone.

I did a rolling drag with a wagon one, and i keep up with him tell i shift into 3rd and then he start to pull away :)

maybe its cuz im only run 0.5bar :(

i always through wrx were faster than r33 :S

Well I have a timeslip for an MY01 WRX that ran a 14.2 stock standard. This car is owned by a member of this forum who also owns a GTR.

I have a timesplip for my old MY99 which just had an exhaust and a silicon intercooler hose. This one was a 13.7

I have a timeslip for my current MY00 STI which is a 12.6@110 and another 12.62@111mph. Only mods are Power FC and exhaust...stock boost.

I know someone who has run a 14.0 in a stock standard MY03 recently.

I also have seen a stock standard MY03 STI run a 13.6

By the way I'm not biased. There are currently 2 wrx's and 1 GTR in our family. We have also had numerouse other WRXs, a 200SX and a GTiR

Well, er, since I'm avoiding work, R33 GTR vs STi. :)

MY2004 STi again, from subaru.com.au

Max. output (DIN) kW/rpm 195/6000  

Max. torque (DIN) Nm/rpm 343/4000  

Unladen mass kg 1470

P/W ratio: 7.5 (equal to the stock GTS25t... interesting...)

'95 R33 GTR from http://imports.motortraders.net.au/imports...spec.asp?id=617, again, feel free to find me offical specs. :(

Max power 206kW @ 6800rpm (real world, it's anyone's guess, but I've read on this page http://www.jbskyline.net/R33/GTR/Specs/ that it's 302hp, which by convert.exe is 225kw.)

Max torque 368Nm @ 4400rpm  

Weight 1530kg  

P/W ratio: 7.4 (possible 'real' figure: 6.8)

The AWD of the rex no longer becomes a big advantage, thanks to Atessa in the GTR, and the figures state that the 'R should be faster.

Although, GTR-Sti, who has owned both, stated his STi feels quicker. Is it actually faster or is it one of those perceived things from being in a different car? The stock figures would say it's not actually faster, but until we get a stock skyline and a stock wrx/sti, we'll never know for certain.

GTR-STi, even though you've left the thread, want to dyno and weigh both cars for us? :)

I would gladly put my stock R33 GTR up against a stock Sti.

A freind who lives up the road has a 99 model sti with an exhaust and we have put the cars up against each other on several occasions and the GTR was faster in a straight line than the sti. It would open up about 2-3 carlengths midway through 3rd.

I used to have an R33 GTST before. I raced many standard looking rexes. Generally it would be close with the GTSt coming out on top if the race went long enough.

Well I have a timeslip for an MY01 WRX that ran a 14.2 stock standard. This car is owned by a member of this forum who also owns a GTR.

I have a timesplip for my old MY99 which just had an exhaust and a silicon intercooler hose. This one was a 13.7

I have a timeslip for my current MY00 STI which is a 12.6@110 and another 12.62@111mph. Only mods are Power FC and exhaust...stock boost.

I know someone who has run a 14.0 in a stock standard MY03 recently.

I also have seen a stock standard MY03 STI run a 13.6

By the way I'm not biased. There are currently 2 wrx's and 1 GTR in our family. We have also had numerouse other WRXs, a 200SX and a GTiR

So your current MY00 STI runs a 12.6.... with a powerFC and exaust..

I probably shouldn't be talking yet, but... i belive my GTR (standard ECU not even powerFC), with exaust will run a 12-12.4 ... which puts me in front of your MY00 STI... I have done it on a gtech many times (not very accuriate i know), hopefully i'll have a proper time slip to prove it this friday night.

So your current MY00 STI runs a 12.6.... with a powerFC and exaust..

I probably shouldn't be talking yet, but... i belive my GTR (standard ECU not even powerFC), with exaust will run a 12-12.4 ... which puts me in front of your MY00 STI... I have done it on a gtech many times (not very accuriate i know), hopefully i'll have a proper time slip to prove it this friday night.

When did I ever compare my car with a GTR???

I am comparing a stock WRX to a stock GTST...but while we are on it...how much boost does your GTR run? Because a stock R33 GTR with exhaust Will Not run a 12.4.

Dad's R33 GTR runs 11.7 with Power FC

This is my first post.

I drove a WRX yesterday for the first time (MY02). I own a R33 GTS25T with a big exhaust, pod filter and 17" wheels with 245/45 Bridgestones.

To my surprise the WRX felt more rigid and inspired a heap of confidence. May have something to do with my car being around 5 years older. My car may hang on just as well (possibly becaus of the amount of rubber on the road), it just feels different. Didn't do any high speed cornering where I know my car excels.

I did a little experiment via an up hill rolling start at a starting speed of 20km/h. At the cut off point (a tree), I had reached approx 80 km/h in the WRX and about 87 km/h in my car. From this foolproof experiment, it would appear as though my car is slightly faster from a rolling start. My money would certainly be on the WRX if it was a standing start to say 80km/h and they were happy to dropp the clutch.

Don't get me wrong, I am not ready to swap or anything as I love my car and Skylines in general, I just think it's worth giving a somewhat objective view.

Guys I think you are all getting a little of track the orginal post was about a Stock rex beating highly modified skylines and silvia's.

We all know what the turn out will be, if they race each other.

So, how about we leave the b!tching to the Drag Strip and end this thread as is ?

a stock wrx vs a modified skyline.. how'd it go for this long??

stock corolla vs modified hayabusa turbo.... corolla if it got a good launch i reckon.. cause its got 2 wheels instead of 1;)

Why does everyone say that the WRX is a lighter car? They're not! they're heavier than a R33 GTS-t by nearly 100kg's.

This pertains to a specific model.. MY01 I think it was? pretty sure that WRX's are heavier across the board.

Which stands to reason - WRX's are heavier, have less Torque and Less KW's - the only thing they have going for them is more grip (being 4wd). So in saying that, in the dry if both cars were to have an equal launch, the 'line should quite convincingly beat a WRX in a Quarter Mile, 100m or 50m sprint.

In the wet? Yeah .. we're stuffed :) a Hilux would kill us !!

knore read my thread without missing or adding words.....read the shit leading to my replies.

LOOK at the 4th then 5th thread.

LOOK at where I joined in to provide reality in conversation and knowledge........

Yes....I compared the GTR to the STI!!!! and I have my second GTR.

REALITY to all, a stock GTR is not quick and will not beat a MY 2000 STI.

now you will really hear a lot of shit spoken, but only by thoses wearing blinkers, the immature, the inexperienced or the disapointed ones who don't have the money to modify.

SORRY...standard is very near unexciting.

Won't post in this thread again or come back to to read the garbage from the immature.

Whats with you saying everything i say or other people say is 'garbage and from the immature'. You dont know me, you dont know anything about me. Maturity has nothing to do with age, it has everything to do with what youve been through in your life. GTR isnt fast standard? What are u comparing it to?

Ofcourse a stock GTR is not going to beat your STI, because youve got mods on it! But stock for stock the GTR will beat the STI. But we arent talking about that. Post up some pics of your second GTR and your current STI, i may have seen them around. Dont have the money to modify? Are you generalising or talking to a particular person? I beleive just because you can afford to buy certain car doesnt mean u can afford to own/run it.

At the end of the day we can agree than a standard GTSt VS standard WRX, the GTSt will pass the 1/4 line first.

And taking into account that most WRX are fairly new, and most 33GTSt's are 10 years old. The gtst was never threatened by a wrx.

In terms of peformance for you dollar, the 33 dominates.

Everyone is here to share their opinions and ideas freely, so dont take things so seriously, its human nature to have conflicting opinions.

Guest Robo's

In the last week , ive had 3 runs, 2 against Rex's and one against a S15. The first Rex was a new STI with a big exhaust and it seemed pretty even at first and i was just getting away in 3rd. The other Rex was a no contest event. Ran him twice. The S15 was a awesome race, it was moded and on the highway, he jumped me every time and it had some strong midrange torque and pulled at least 2 cars. Finally we did an even punch and he pulled probably half car before the strong top end of the GTST came in and i snatched 4th and slowly pulled away. Nice race though. God i loved the midrange punch it had though.