SAU Community

OH NO! Has my turbo gone?

OH NO! Has my turbo gone?

Hi guys!

Looking for some help!   I have a R34 GTT and I think the turbo has gone! ...  I was driving as per normal when suddenly the engine light came on followed by all boost dropping and about half a dozen shudders within the engine bay area! I had the stereo on so I cant pinpoint the spots exactly or the true tone of the noise etc.  Instantly the car was so sluggish and sick sounding that I was thinking it was about to stall.  There is no obvious fluid leaks and there was no smoke. I was only around the corner so I was able to make it home. Felt like the car was hardly pulling me along, when it was at idle it 'sounds' normal. If you give it a bit of throttle you cannot hear the turbo spooling anywhere to the volume previously. The car has done 165 000 ish km's and I have heard the turbos don't last much more then 140 000 ...

My questions are: Do you all think this is obviously the turbo? If not, possibly what else and how do I go about checking it? (cause I aint driving it anywhere!) lol

Many thanks in advance!

Donna :)

• Like 1

If it's driving funny off boost (under 3000rpm) then it's not necessarily the turbo.

I'd definitely check the cooler piping but also the rest of the intake plumbing. I once had the narrow pipe that goes across the valley cover right at the back of the engine pop off at the track and the car ran like s__t as air was getting past the AFM.

Good luck!

• Like 1