SAU Community

2016-17 Nissan GTR R35 Tuning

2016-17 Nissan GTR R35 Tuning

Hey guys, has anyone done a custom tune with cobb accessport and midpipe only on a 2015-MY17 GTR? is it worth doing in terms of power gains and has anyone run in the 10s with this set up on 98 pump fuel in oz?

• 9 months later...

i ran a 10sec pass in my 2012 R35 GTR with just a midpipe, catback, and air filters. everything else was stock. 10.8 to be exact. i didn't even have a tune. 

so with a tune and midpipe you should definitely do it, though if you were getting it tuned i would do aftermarket air filters, fuel pumps, injectors and downpipes as well at the same time since you are going to need a retune if you get any of those parts later on the quest for more power.

• 2 years later...

My 2014 MY 2015 runs titanium midpipes. No idea what brand, but not a bad note. Have not had a tune as yet. Fitting Cobb catless downpipes, upgraded fuel pumps, ID1050x injectors and Big SF carbon intakes at the moment and will have a tune on completion. Not sure when as I managed to shear the turbo manifold stud on the left downpipe, the one at the 8 O'clock position. It was the last one so pretty pissed off, even more so when I broke a 3mm drill bit trying to drill it out. Off shopping tomorrow for a rescue bit and maybe one of those hollow diamond bits to drill around the HSS broken one. At least with this mexican beer flu around I have plenty of time to waste on cars.

Also agree with BLISTIC, hardly worth a tune for midpipes alone. Once you start down the dreaded upgrade path, watch out for the Kaching meter. Bought a set of pipes and then discovered there is no Accessport tune for that. Got to add the big intakes, fuel pumps and injectors which requires I think at least a stage 2 or maybe stage 3 tune to sync everything. Maybe next week if the world hasn't shut down.

• 1 month later...

All done. Car has gone from a beast to a monster! Did a COBB stage three tune and the car is running so well I'm not bothering with a dyno. Only downside is having to drive with the windows down to savour the the brute note.

Literally saved around $3K on installation quoted costs, so more than enough to pay for the skin grafts to knuckles etc.

Having a hoist was a big advantage, although the trickiest part was installing the pod filters on the intake pipes. Actually resorted to KY!

The big beware is the downpipe nut removal. NISSAN use these bloody one use pinch nuts which can be problematic getting off. See above. It was at least relatively accessible. It could have been much worse and this engine has 14K on it. Not sure I would risk it with a high mileage one. Oh, and that sheared stud removal took me four days and a lot of swearing!

• 2 weeks later...

Curiosity got the better of me so off I went to GT Auto at Slack's Creek for a tune. Made 452 KW, a bit over 600hp. Very Happy. Now just have to find a venue reopening to have some fun.