SAU Community

"Best" position for ext temp sensor

HCD Velcra

Hey guys

So I still have to connect the last one of 3 Defi gauges; "unfortunately" its the sensor for ext temp. So as much as I know, I got to drill a hole into the manifold, keep it clean fropm the metal cuttings, create a thread, clean it again and put the sensor parts and holdings in. Is that correct?

So now, where would be the smartest place to do so? Obviously a spot I can work on but what also would be a good spot to get precise results on my gauge.
Where did you guys install that?

Its an R33 Gtst with an rb25det logically

EDIT: Ok so Ive read a couple of times, it would be safer to put it in the elbow instead of the manifold, just to make sure the mani wont crack or that the turbo will eat flakes ^^. Guess that makes sense, since the manifold wont get any better with increasing milerange I suppose

thaaaanks

Edited by HCD Velcra

I've got mine next to the O2 sensor on the dump, it's not perfect but good enough.

I think generally with EGT you're looking less at the absolute value and more at unexpected changes over time e.g. sudden high temps due to a blocked injector and such.

I put mine in the turbine inlet.  On the actual turbine housing, just downstream of the flange.  Stock Nissan housing hanging off of stock manifold.  Because the manifold is "divided", the first best* place for a single TC is in the turbo itself.  Also has the benefit of being relatively easy to get off and do the drilling and tapping without worrying about swarf going places it shouldn't.

*best because you see true EGT, before the turbo has sucked anything out of it.

Not being willing to stick the TC tip too far into the flow, though, it's not a 100% ideal installation.  You'd be more willing to shove it 15mm or so into the flow in the dump.  I've just got about a 5mm insertion of the tip.