SAU Community

RB25/30 Big HP VCT?

Ok so I'm a little bit unsure which path to go with my new build this year... I'm building a 25/30 and looking at GTX42/PTE6870g2/EFR9180 and not sure if I should keep VCT and run 268 9mm or get rid of VCT and run 272 10.4mm. I'll be tuning getting it tuned on my manual box then moving to a glide setup as most stuff I do is mexican highway/drags/roll racing. I still want somewhat of a powerband, will probably only rev it to 8k to stay on the safe side for the hydraulic lifters.

Positives and negatives to both, if i delete vct I'll have to clearance head for big lift, but I won't have to do an external vct oil feed, laggier.

If i keep it gotta run external feed, smaller duration and lift but bring the turbo on quicker? 

Head will be ported with +1mm valves also.

Also those of you who run ross balancers, is the metal jacket ok or should I upgrade to the race series? (A/C retrofit is exy). They rate the metal jacket to 600hp which ill be exceeding but just wanted to see what people are running. Open to other options as well if any.

10 minutes ago, sneakey pete said:

Power ratings on balancers is one of the most stupid things ever in my opinion.

Also, is 268x9 really the biggest VCT cam you can get?

I don't understand them haha people make 600whp on stock balancer but their aftermarket 'upgraded' unit is rated to 600hp? 

What do you run on yours Pete? 

Yup, as far as I'm aware anyway. Im gonna shoot kelford an email and see what they say about a custom vct set.

VCT is awesome, but on an auto making 600kw would want more lift than 9mm, and for actual driving under the pump bigger duration with a lot more lift would be the go. Best is best of both worlds, similar specs with VCT!

57 minutes ago, klutched said:

I don't understand them haha people make 600whp on stock balancer but their aftermarket 'upgraded' unit is rated to 600hp? 

What do you run on yours Pete? 

Yup, as far as I'm aware anyway. Im gonna shoot kelford an email and see what they say about a custom vct set.

Got a ati... 1000 or 800 or whatever the higher spec one is. AC works which is a benefit however its overdriven 33% so need to be careful about it being on or off. Do wonder if i could have gone for the smaller one, on the other hand i'd like to be able to rev it to 9000 for when i'm feeling stupid, and doing launches etc sometimes and I expect that is where it would be a more critical difference.

cams wise, no VCT on the 26 head unfortunately, but I have unigroup 260x11mm cams which seem to be pretty amazing.

I have emailed kelford to ask if it's possible to run more lift with VCT and what they'd recommend for my setup. 

Yeah small lift and relatively low duration for the turbo size I want to run, little worried 268 wont bring out the full potential up top.

Oh yep, shame ATI dont make a balancer for the 25's.... Ross is the only way to go for me I think.