SAU Community

Excess pay in the rear half shafts/outer CVs?

4rrow88

On my GTS-t I can feel and hear a bit of a clunk in the rear sometimes when going on/off throttle, especially at low speeds like in a carpark etc. It seems like there may be excess play in the rear outer cv's, the clunk can be felt by turning the driveshaft back and forth by hand (probably about 20mm) with the rear wheels sitting on the ground so they can't move,  there's no excessive play in the diff itself,  you can see the axles turn right away with the driveshaft but it seems like there is a little bit of slop in the outer cv's before the wheel actually tries to turn. Anybody else experienced this, and are they serviceable?

I had a clunk coming from the back of mine. Like you, i found slack in the cvs. I changed many things that didn't stop the clunk.

I ended up buying some electric chassis ears, hooked them up, drove around and isolated the noise to some loose bolts on the bracket at the front of the rear subframe next to the rear jacking point.

My money is on, shagged subframe bushes or some loose bolts somewhere. Good luck, hope you find the culprit soon.

Yea I was wondering whether the amount of play in the cv's is actually normal and if what I'm feeling when driving is subframe bushes/diff mounts, I will pull it all to bits soon and inspect it properly.