SAU Community

Tensioner and chain guide

Hetes a couple of pics from the inspection point of my  04 350gt , all seems good in there ? Maybe im wrong but the guide doesnt seem to be broken or slipped down? Im guessing the small knock on idle is either a lifter or fuel damper, im going to run some thicker oil, if it stops the noise obvioisly its the lifter?

Can i get opinions on the tensioner it seems fine to me

20190131_124644.jpg

20190131_124617.jpg

Edited by FEAR NO BEER
Spelling

Sorry, no idea about the tensioner.  I am dreading the day I need to do a tensioner or water pump on either of my VQs.

I have had the a noisy fuel damper and it was a constant knocking sound that changes with engine RPM, not just at startup, so if that is what you have, it might be the damper, hold onto the fuel hose on the right side of the engine while it is idling, if you can feel it pulsing in time with the knock, this is probably where the problem is.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 8:34 AM, FEAR NO BEER said:

Hetes a couple of pics from the inspection point of my  04 350gt , all seems good in there ? Maybe im wrong but the guide doesnt seem to be broken or slipped down? Im guessing the small knock on idle is either a lifter or fuel damper, im going to run some thicker oil, if it stops the noise obvioisly its the lifter?

Can i get opinions on the tensioner it seems fine to me

20190131_124644.jpg

20190131_124617.jpg

Tensioner looks alright and its about half way out from my experience. 

Small knock at idle is not tensioner none of 3 and more likely it is the main chain that makes that noise which becomes louder around 2200 RPM 

I have changed all internals myself, all 3 chains, main tensioner, pump, VDCs etc

There is no need to use thicker engine oil stick with OEM Nissan 5w-35 Fully Synthetic

All those well known issues with main chains noises and VDCs are caused of exesive use of mineral engine oils back in Japan