SAU Community

DEFINITIVE HP GUIDE FOR RB26 2023 600HP BEST RESPONSE

Hi guys,

I know that this question has been answered way too many times to count but with all of the new turbotechnology with twins and singles, what would be the BEST  MOST RESPONSIVE 600hp rb26 build? There is so much new technology that it is way too much and as much as I’ve tried to research I still just don’t know how to get the MOST RESPONSIVE 600HP rb26 build. If someone could help I’d greatly appreciate it. Also what would have a 2.8L stroked kit and v-cam stage 2 have on the response of it. 

Cheers,

7 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Twin charged. Series of turbo compressor and a supercharger.

All of the drivetrain shreading torque from idle that you would ever need, LOL

Instant response sometimes has its downfalls when your power kicks your drivetrain in the balls

20230922_171847.thumb.jpg.bfd3a615eaf69e60696161225eaabe4a.jpg

I had a 2.8, with an EFR, the most responsive turbo on the market. Then I decided I wanted more response so I added a further 2.9L of displacement and got rid of the turbo.

... probably cheaper than building a RB26 with a bottom end that can reliably take 600hp, a turbo kit, whatever kit... and VCAM as well...

51 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Well, clearly the best Rb26 is an RB25Neo

100%

Used in fast time attack cars such as Xtreme GT-R, Brad's car, bcozican's car.

IMHO this is what I would do:

• RB25DET NEO head, retaining VCT
  • Garrett G35-900 with a T4 1.06 divided housing
  • Proper twin scroll manifold, not the 6Boost single gate ones (as it's not divided all the way to the gate)
  • Decent intercooler, such as a Plazmaman Pro Series
  • Usual bolt ons, etc.
  • Usual built bottom, etc.
  • Usual oil fixes, sump bs, etc.

447kW is easily obtainable these days with all the modern performance parts available.

• Like 2

I'd still choose an EFR over a G35-900. That on a 2.5 is just going to be dogshit lazy.

Someone did do an EFR vs G Series when it came to transient response and the EFR did beat it out, however the comparison was on a 1.8L MX5 and not in the range these turbos are. But I'd still be surprised if a G35-900 is more responsive than an EFR8474 or the likes. Without googling it I don't actually know if wheel sizes/lb-min are comparable. There could be a closer match.

I don't mean boost threshold, I mean response.

On 15/11/2023 at 7:48 PM, hattori hanzo said:

vcam 

and a G35 900 and you will have more response than you can poke a stick at 

When do you reckon boost will start to kick in and when do you think full boost will be on. Just a relative guess would be good. Also what gauge housing do you recommend.

On 15/11/2023 at 5:50 PM, Comm said:

Hi guys,

I know that this question has been answered way too many times to count but with all of the new turbotechnology with twins and singles, what would be the BEST  MOST RESPONSIVE 600hp rb26 build? There is so much new technology that it is way too much and as much as I’ve tried to research I still just don’t know how to get the MOST RESPONSIVE 600HP rb26 build. If someone could help I’d greatly appreciate it. Also what would have a 2.8L stroked kit and v-cam stage 2 have on the response of it. 

Cheers,

Without being absolutely ridiculous about it, this is the gist of what I'd look into:

- RB28 with VCam

- Nismo intake manifold

- If available a good T4 divided cast manifold.  Smallest volume possible that is going to support 600hp, PROPER pulse convertor style thing

- EFR8374 with 1.05 T4 twin scroll hotside

- Good intercooler with minimal pressure drop and unrestrictive intercooler piping

- Free-est possible flowing exhaust.  4" dump pipe off turbo

- Run it on ethanol

I'm wondering what I'm missing with people suggesting a G35 900, if there is a result or something I've not heard about I'd love to see it - from all I'm aware of so far that'd be a solid step down from an EFR8374 in terms of overall stand up/response if everything is put together and working right.  Sure, capable of more power and go well for what it was but not "peers" with an EFR8374 in terms of responsiveness from anything I've seen so far.

A G30 770 would be more comparable I'd have thought, and if I had seen such a setup I'd consider that as a possible viable alternative to the EFR8374 and would love to see how it would go - but I'm just suggesting unbiased and proven combos.  At this point I'm not confident there is anything else that would compare that will safely hit 600hp and be as responsive.

3 hours ago, Comm said:

When do you reckon boost will start to kick in and when do you think full boost will be on. Just a relative guess would be good. Also what gauge housing do you recommend.

So I have a 2.8 with a G35900 with 1.06 twin scroll rear 

I dont have vcam 

The dyno shows it laggier than it is on the street, it feels miles ahead of my 6466 . 

G35900 was making a bar of boost around 3750rpm based off the motec dash. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hattori hanzo said:

I dont have vcam 

The dyno shows it laggier than it is on the street, it feels miles ahead of my 6466 . 

Edit: Oops, I clicked the link to the thread notification thinking this was a response to my comment and said stuff explaining why I thought the G35 wasn't as suited to this situation and it could have looked like I was having a dig - and just realised you were responding to another comment.

Ignore me!

Edited by Lithium

7 hours ago, Lithium said:

Edit: Oops, I clicked the link to the thread notification thinking this was a response to my comment and said stuff explaining why I thought the G35 wasn't as suited to this situation and it could have looked like I was having a dig - and just realised you were responding to another comment.

Ignore me!

interested to know why you dont think its suited 

what would go better 

22 hours ago, Lithium said:

Without being absolutely ridiculous about it, this is the gist of what I'd look into:

- RB28 with VCam

- Nismo intake manifold

- If available a good T4 divided cast manifold.  Smallest volume possible that is going to support 600hp, PROPER pulse convertor style thing

- EFR8374 with 1.05 T4 twin scroll hotside

- Good intercooler with minimal pressure drop and unrestrictive intercooler piping

- Free-est possible flowing exhaust.  4" dump pipe off turbo

- Run it on ethanol

I'm wondering what I'm missing with people suggesting a G35 900, if there is a result or something I've not heard about I'd love to see it - from all I'm aware of so far that'd be a solid step down from an EFR8374 in terms of overall stand up/response if everything is put together and working right.  Sure, capable of more power and go well for what it was but not "peers" with an EFR8374 in terms of responsiveness from anything I've seen so far.

A G30 770 would be more comparable I'd have thought, and if I had seen such a setup I'd consider that as a possible viable alternative to the EFR8374 and would love to see how it would go - but I'm just suggesting unbiased and proven combos.  At this point I'm not confident there is anything else that would compare that will safely hit 600hp and be as responsive.

Awesome thanks. What do other people think of this list right here? I don’t have ethanol near me I wish did but what kind of manifold would be good? I’ve heard 6boost is a good choice.

17 hours ago, hattori hanzo said:

interested to know why you dont think its suited 

what would go better 

Not *as* suited as the EFR8374 I suggested - and only mentioned that because I thought you'd responded to my comment though OP has mentioned pump gas so gotta clarify some things as I may change that view a bit too haha.

2 hours ago, Comm said:

Awesome thanks. What do other people think of this list right here? I don’t have ethanol near me I wish did but what kind of manifold would be good? I’ve heard 6boost is a good choice.

I'd prefer Sinco myself, I would look into Artec's cast divided manifold as well though there have been posts coming up suggesting that fitment may not be great so that might be worth keeping an eye on.

My turbo suggestion was also assuming ethanol, you *may* need something different depending on what octane fuel you'll be running and how the dyno reads?  You may need a "bigger" turbo than the EFR8374 that I mentioned if you're looking for 600hp @ wheels on say an Aussie Mainline or Dyno Dynamics rolling road dyno on say 98RON, but if you're going to be running on a hub dyno or Dynojet then it wouldn't be a problem.

On 17/11/2023 at 11:56 AM, hattori hanzo said:

I dont have vcam 

How much less lag would you get if you went with let’s say a 0.83 housing. Exact same setup do you think that would be better?