SAU Community

RB30 piston rings

AngryRB

Bought some hastings pistons rings for std RB30E cast pistons and the end gap is 0.60mm at top and 0.50mm at bottom. Top compression ring)

The bore measures 86.10mm so i thought the gap would of been less.

Can i use RB25 or RB26 oem rings?  and expect the end gaps to be much closer to say 0.35mm?

Edited by AngryRB

Was an overwhelming response to this...lol but for anyone wondering in the future the RB26 apparently shares the same piston rings as an RB30E so there you go..

Edited by AngryRB

• 1 month later...

Just wondering how you went with the Hastings piston rings, I too have recently just purchased Hastings 2c4754 rings to suit my sons VL commodore rb30 motor. The top ring gap was around 4mm which seamed way to big for me but Hastings apparently have oversize the ring gap to suit heat expansion. But I'm questionable. Before I install them I am doing homework to save me a rebuild again.

I decided not to use hastings, im not happy with them, was big mistake buying them.  

My engine is a budget slapper build so seeing as the RB25 i had was in great running condition i decided to use its pistons and rings  ( 0.40 top ring gap).  

The americans can keep there sloppy rings and pistons.