SAU Community

Help please, RB25DET runs better on 1/2 throttle!

14 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

It was probably pinging its tits off.

It is probably still lean. You have been warned.

It wasn't at all. No pinging noise whatsoever which I would have expected to hear also. I think the ecu was stopping it by limiting the power and hence the sudden reduction in power when boost went over 5 psi. Thanks for the warning mate but it's not an expensive car so I'm not overly concerned, nor should you be ?. However I will definitely check the fueling when it is allowed to get out and on to a dyno. But I think it was just the timing issue tbh, 12 degrees wrong is a lot and the car now drives fine. Now if it was one of my more expensive cars I would be more worried. I appreciate people trying to help. On this occasion no one got the diagnosis right, no one said check the timing,  hey ho it's all a learning curve I guess. It might help someone else.

Stay safe.

Edited by Tonyr33gtst

I also have this ecu. Does your car have all the supporting mods for the chipped ECU? This is taken from bells:

RB Rebuild (Bells Auto Services) Stage 1 V2 ECU for Skyline R33 GTST.

New Stage 1 R33 GTST ECU V2 remap with improved fuel and ignition tables. Limiter increased to 7400 and a few other tweaks. Will give slightly more power and response over older versions.

Modifications required are:
- Front Mount Intercooler
- Full Exhaust System
- Decat
- Induction Kit
- Boost increase to 0.85bar
- Shell V-Power 98+ Octane fuel

Power can be expected upto 330bhp depending on engine condition and correct setup of ignition timing.