SAU Community

V35 Alternator

Hi guys, Joined this forum to get some help. I need to replace an alternator on my V35 skyline 300gt sedan and I'm having trouble finding a replacement alternator.

Looking at http://jp-carparts.com/ i've found that my car is a HV35 - and has the VQ30DD engine instead of the VQ35DE found in the Coupe models. I think that makes sense as its a 3.0L engine with Neo-DI

Now on https://jp-carparts.com/nissan/partlist.php?maker=nissan&type=152&cartype=6&fig=231 - it shows there's two possible alternators for the VQ30DD - they are:

1.23100-AL510

2.23100-AM610

The first one 23100-AL510 is nearly impossible to find an OE replacement, and i'm looking at $500 odd for one shipped from japan or brand new for about $1200. But they definitely can come off the V35 sedans.

The second one, 23100-AM610 is a bit easier to find - found on Stageas and other nissan models, as well as the V35 coupe. These range between $100 used to $400 brand new OE replacements.

Both alternators look similar in photos.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Can the cheaper one be used? 

Really really appreciate the help!

It's quite common for Nissan, and all other manufacturers, to replace components with updated ones due to supply chain (obsolescence), engineering changes (higher current output, fixes flaws found in previous part numbers), etc. Considering it has been in vehicles as old as yours (2001 onwards), it's not surprising for the part to have been superseded after 19 years.

I was able to find some electrical characteristics for the AM610, which suggests that it is 110A output. Of what I could manage with my Google-fu on the AL510, it seems to also be 110A, and just like your search results, they are listed for the same vehicle and engine, so they appear to be direct equivalents. Hopefully someone can clarify on the physical characteristics to be sure it will actually mount on the same anchor points and share the same pulley size but being the gambler I have always been when it comes to buying parts (hasn't failed me yet), I would be comfortable in ordering the AM610.

If you get no further confirmation and don't want to take the gamble, I would just hand it over to a decent auto electrician and have them source one for you. They can deal with the gambles.

If you can find one new at that $400 price, that's a major score!

Edited by The Max

Thanks for that. I appreciate the response.

Your response gave me more confidence to study up and take a gamble on interchangeable parts.

I ended up going to the wreckers looking for an Elgrand - and taking the alternator off a VQ35DE.

The Pins were different. Snipped off a pigtail plug  off the elgrand and repinning it to suit the factory harness.

Everything is working! happy days. 

18 hours ago, Coffee_time said:

Thanks for that. I appreciate the response.

Your response gave me more confidence to study up and take a gamble on interchangeable parts.

I ended up going to the wreckers looking for an Elgrand - and taking the alternator off a VQ35DE.

Nice one! What was the part number off the Elgrand, out of curiosity?