SAU Community

Help needed

Hey guys hopefully right area to post I have just got a r33 coupe has the nismo dash with lcd screen now the screen will flick on but flicks off again

i have 1 box in the boot but think I’m missing the main driver also appears to be missing remote

Does any1 have pics of the driver box a English manual (can’t find one) any ideas how to keep screen running and can I wire it into the ecu or does it need the ej1 driver

F5F6B1EB-C374-45DE-9A39-5DEEF87D643F.jpeg

Hi mate, good score.

You don't really need an epsom ej-1 to drive the dash, although that was the most common way back in the day.

The rear of the dash just has 12v+, 12v- and a standard yellow video in. Easy enough to test with the dash out if you can provide it 12v and a standard video feed. My guess is the LCD is dying/dead.

I have/had this setup in my stagea and the screen died, and I have not been able to replace the screen itself. There is a part number on it but that was long out of production, I did have a guru looking into mounting something with the same size an resolution into the dash but no luck yet.

If you have an ej-1 (ie, just screen is dead) it will be wired in to the ECU with about 10 wires, and it does have a remote control so you may find a remote control receiver somewhere or the remote itself.

Boot is a weird place to put it since it is a long way from everything it feeds but who knows. If you can find the video feed in the boot you can supply it to the dash to check. Otherwise pull the dash out and supply a video feed directly to make sure it works.

These days some sort of phone mirroring bluetooth thingy would be the most obvious thing to supply to the LCD

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

Hi mate, good score.

You don't really need an epsom ej-1 to drive the dash, although that was the most common way back in the day.

The rear of the dash just has 12v+, 12v- and a standard yellow video in. Easy enough to test with the dash out if you can provide it 12v and a standard video feed. My guess is the LCD is dying/dead.

I have/had this setup in my stagea and the screen died, and I have not been able to replace the screen itself. There is a part number on it but that was long out of production, I did have a guru looking into mounting something with the same size an resolution into the dash but no luck yet.

If you have an ej-1 (ie, just screen is dead) it will be wired in to the ECU with about 10 wires, and it does have a remote control so you may find a remote control receiver somewhere or the remote itself.

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Boot is a weird place to put it since it is a long way from everything it feeds but who knows. If you can find the video feed in the boot you can supply it to the dash to check. Otherwise pull the dash out and supply a video feed directly to make sure it works.

These days some sort of phone mirroring bluetooth thingy would be the most obvious thing to supply to the LCD

Is it possible it was hooked to the nav as the car is originally a jap import an has the old nav aerial an CD stacker in boot also

where would they usually hide the bits would it fit under dash as nothing under the front seats

Yeah unfortunately the ej-1 is an aftermarket install so it is hard to say where it would be; mine is under the passenger seat. There is heaps of space under the main dash, they are not a large unit (say 300x150x10 ish)

I would pull the dash cluster out as next step to see what is connected, and if it fires up OK with a known good video source.

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

Yeah unfortunately the ej-1 is an aftermarket install so it is hard to say where it would be; mine is under the passenger seat. There is heaps of space under the main dash, they are not a large unit (say 300x150x10 ish)

I would pull the dash cluster out as next step to see what is connected, and if it fires up OK with a known good video source.

So pulled out the cluster it appears that there is a yellow video plug to it an the little 2 pin power plug. 
i searched car can’t find a remote follow the wires there is 1 litre box in boot that has remote sensing wire the video wire  an sound wire. Then there is another harness that plugs off of that but what ever it plugs into is missing so I’m guessing the ej1 box has gone. 
Is there any other use for screen? How much is it worth $ wise. I’ve owned a few 32 an 33 coupes this is the 1st nismo dash like that I’ve ever seen

Sounds like the ej-1 is long gone then. Weird they didn't take the harness so maybe it was dead rather than resold. It is 30 year old aftermarket electronics after all.

Yes they are pretty rare, and in working condition and with the US market influence on skyline prices it is probably worth a gazillion dollars in working condition (I mean, if a second had steering wheel is worth $1k, for instance....). They were made for R33 skyline and W34 stagea only to my knowledge.

You can use it with any device that creates a video signal, from memory it is NTSC not PAL but that means there are plenty of choice. In my stagea I ran the ej-1 to a TV tuner which could switch the output between TV and the ej-1 screen, and then outputted both to the dash and the stereo head unit, but if I was setting it up today I'd be looking for a bluetooth phone mirroring to show consult or GPS data.