Jump to content
SAU Community

Help needed


Recommended Posts

Hey guys hopefully right area to post I have just got a r33 coupe has the nismo dash with lcd screen now the screen will flick on but flicks off again

i have 1 box in the boot but think I’m missing the main driver also appears to be missing remote

 

Does any1 have pics of the driver box a English manual (can’t find one) any ideas how to keep screen running and can I wire it into the ecu or does it need the ej1 driver

F5F6B1EB-C374-45DE-9A39-5DEEF87D643F.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi mate, good score.

You don't really need an epsom ej-1 to drive the dash, although that was the most common way back in the day.

The rear of the dash just has 12v+, 12v- and a standard yellow video in. Easy enough to test with the dash out if you can provide it 12v and a standard video feed. My guess is the LCD is dying/dead.

I have/had this setup in my stagea and the screen died, and I have not been able to replace the screen itself. There is a part number on it but that was long out of production, I did have a guru looking into mounting something with the same size an resolution into the dash but no luck yet.

If you have an ej-1 (ie, just screen is dead) it will be wired in to the ECU with about 10 wires, and it does have a remote control so you may find a remote control receiver somewhere or the remote itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boot is a weird place to put it since it is a long way from everything it feeds but who knows. If you can find the video feed in the boot you can supply it to the dash to check. Otherwise pull the dash out and supply a video feed directly to make sure it works.

These days some sort of phone mirroring bluetooth thingy would be the most obvious thing to supply to the LCD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Duncan said:

Hi mate, good score.

You don't really need an epsom ej-1 to drive the dash, although that was the most common way back in the day.

The rear of the dash just has 12v+, 12v- and a standard yellow video in. Easy enough to test with the dash out if you can provide it 12v and a standard video feed. My guess is the LCD is dying/dead.

I have/had this setup in my stagea and the screen died, and I have not been able to replace the screen itself. There is a part number on it but that was long out of production, I did have a guru looking into mounting something with the same size an resolution into the dash but no luck yet.

If you have an ej-1 (ie, just screen is dead) it will be wired in to the ECU with about 10 wires, and it does have a remote control so you may find a remote control receiver somewhere or the remote itself.

 

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Boot is a weird place to put it since it is a long way from everything it feeds but who knows. If you can find the video feed in the boot you can supply it to the dash to check. Otherwise pull the dash out and supply a video feed directly to make sure it works.

These days some sort of phone mirroring bluetooth thingy would be the most obvious thing to supply to the LCD

Is it possible it was hooked to the nav as the car is originally a jap import an has the old nav aerial an CD stacker in boot also

where would they usually hide the bits would it fit under dash as nothing under the front seats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah unfortunately the ej-1 is an aftermarket install so it is hard to say where it would be; mine is under the passenger seat. There is heaps of space under the main dash, they are not a large unit (say 300x150x10 ish)

I would pull the dash cluster out as next step to see what is connected, and if it fires up OK with a known good video source.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Duncan said:

Yeah unfortunately the ej-1 is an aftermarket install so it is hard to say where it would be; mine is under the passenger seat. There is heaps of space under the main dash, they are not a large unit (say 300x150x10 ish)

I would pull the dash cluster out as next step to see what is connected, and if it fires up OK with a known good video source.

So pulled out the cluster it appears that there is a yellow video plug to it an the little 2 pin power plug. 
i searched car can’t find a remote follow the wires there is 1 litre box in boot that has remote sensing wire the video wire  an sound wire. Then there is another harness that plugs off of that but what ever it plugs into is missing so I’m guessing the ej1 box has gone. 
Is there any other use for screen? How much is it worth $ wise. I’ve owned a few 32 an 33 coupes this is the 1st nismo dash like that I’ve ever seen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like the ej-1 is long gone then. Weird they didn't take the harness so maybe it was dead rather than resold. It is 30 year old aftermarket electronics after all.

Yes they are pretty rare, and in working condition and with the US market influence on skyline prices it is probably worth a gazillion dollars in working condition (I mean, if a second had steering wheel is worth $1k, for instance....). They were made for R33 skyline and W34 stagea only to my knowledge.

You can use it with any device that creates a video signal, from memory it is NTSC not PAL but that means there are plenty of choice. In my stagea I ran the ej-1 to a TV tuner which could switch the output between TV and the ej-1 screen, and then outputted both to the dash and the stereo head unit, but if I was setting it up today I'd be looking for a bluetooth phone mirroring to show consult or GPS data.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Similar Content

  • Latest Posts

    • I do have a tiny tiny misfire occasionally but I think it's because I got a little fuel down into a plug tube so I'll pull the coils out and see if I can dry those out. 
    • Ok, so here the embarrassing 'fess up' post. Here's the crack, or broken part of the old valve cover. Pretty obvious break and in hindsight it's quite the face palmer 🤦‍♂️ but let me explain why I didn't think this was a problem. This side part of the valve cover is an additional piece, it protrudes from the main valve cover and it's also where the fuel rail mounts.....  You can see the rail at the bottom and you can see this external piece hanging off the side of the cover. It almost looks sandwiched in this pic.  Here's another cover with that side piece ...  On top of this, when looking at the inside of the cover, there were no openings(*) for that section. So I really just thought I'd broken some crispy plastic mount for the fuel rail.... Until somebody drew my attention to the air openings at the BOTTOM of the cover, not INSIDE the cover. So, I had a ginormous PCV leak. The cover needed to go and I should have taken everybodies advice and got a new one in the first place. The original one is just fried, its really brittle. It was nice to have the new one be really snug in position and the screws were slightly tight to do up which was completely different to the original ones that almost undid themselves.    
    • Pulled out this pile of shit, will be refreshed soon enough. Had coolant hit my face and I accidentally tasted it.  It's sweet.
    • Looks awesome. Well done. I'd love to drive Laguna Seca! 
    • This video is great, the enthusiasm is infectious and it's kind of cute. It's great to see these things being used properly on track, it reminds me of track days of old. It is a bit funny seeing everyone so excited about Skylines, whereas here they're all considered a bit nuggety or shitboxy. If this seems odd to you mr OP, imagine all of us being this giddy about seeing 30 C5 Vettes on a track at once place, full of influencers taking their videos and posting for clout. That said, you did a great job conveying the fun and excitement of a track day, getting out there and just having some damn fun.
×
×
  • Create New...