SAU Community

R34 Tension rod

few years back, I bought japspeed( well known in the UK) tension rod.

Does anyone know if one is meant to look after and service spherical bearing as I refer to it. see attached picture.

dust boot was torn and came off so no dust boot but doesn't look to have change anyting significantly .

I bought these as had vibration on brake and no issues since installation really 

Lower Recurring cost per month 

Spherical joints need to be regularly inspected, cleaned, lubed.

Dust boots help with keeping road grime off to a certain extent, but they make it a lot harder to clean and relube.

It is claimed that the teflon lined ones do not need lubrication. That has not been my experience so far.

The front end of front radius rods is about the cleanest possible place on the car's suspension, so sphericals tend to last a long time there. I have unprotected sphericals on the front of my Tein radius rods and they've been good for many years. Top quality joints on the Teins.

Most important aspect of installing these is to make sure that the ball is centered when the rod/arm/joint is at resting position. If they are over towards one end then the joint can run out of travel before the arm/rod does and it will cause damage. Dust boost also make this very difficult to check, especially if they are full of grease.

Inspection for wear, which exhibits as excessive (really, any) play.

I have not put a lot of lube onto my radius rod joints over the years. As I said, this is about the best, cleanest location on the car, so they don't get full of shit there. I keep other sphericals on my car aggressively lubed. Dust boots packed full of moly grease.