SAU Community

Installing engine cooler on V35

Just installed a thermostatic (80 degrees) engine oil cooler on my v35. 

I pre-filled the oil filter and cooler with engine oil. The lines to the cooler I did not prefill. 

Would the lines get filled when I start the car/prime the oil, or do does the oil need to get to 80 degrees inside the engine first, before it will send oil to the cooler and hence prime the lines of oil. 

I was considering overfilling the sump by half a litre, incase this happens. Still waiting on some other parts, so won't be starting it anytime soon just curious. 

Cheers.

Without knowing how the thermostat works it's hard to be sure, but most likely like you said, oil won't flow through the lines or cooler until it is up to speed. Even when it does it most likely opens partly like a water thermostat so you won't notice it.

Just check your oil level after your first 30min drive.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:53 AM, Duncan said:

Without knowing how the thermostat works it's hard to be sure, but most likely like you said, oil won't flow through the lines or cooler until it is up to speed. Even when it does it most likely opens partly like a water thermostat so you won't notice it.

Just check your oil level after your first 30min drive.

Yep, after the 30 minute drive. Let car sit for a bit, went down about half a litre (that's what it took to refill it to the full line). So if anyone is reading this with the Concept Z Performance kit and wondering the same as me, overfill it 0.5 litres and you'll be sweet :)