SAU Community

Skyline Newbie in need of some advice

Moe.r34sedan

Hello from Canada, new member here!

I imported an r34 sedan in the summer of 2020, it is an hr34 (rb20de) but the previous owner swapped in the rb25det neo and trans. I am now wanting more power, around the 350ish mark. So far I have r35 gtr 570cc injectors and high flow turbo. I just have a few questions:

1) For the fuel pump, can I get an r34 gtt fuel pump or is it different from a non turbo (hr34)?

2) ECU wise, I'm thinking of going Nistune type 4 board as a standalone is above my budget, good choice?

3) How much torque can a stock r34 gtt clutch handle? 

Any answers are greatly appreciated 🙂

3 hours ago, Moe.r34sedan said:

For the fuel pump, can I get an r34 gtt fuel pump or is it different from a non turbo (hr34)?

Just put a Walbro 255 or similar in it. You need more than the stock GTT pump anyway.

2) ECU wise, I'm thinking of going Nistune type 4 board as a standalone is above my budget, good choice?

Nistune is the correct choice for a not-expensive-but-capable ECU.

3) How much torque can a stock r34 gtt clutch handle?

You will need to upgrade the clutch, the brakes, and the diff. If you still have the open diff, it will suck.

8 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Just put a Walbro 255 or similar in it. You need more than the stock GTT pump anyway.

My bad, didn't mean put a stock gtt fuel pump in. I was looking at the Walbro 255 made for the gtt and just wondered if it would work on an hr34

53 minutes ago, Moe.r34sedan said:

Walbro 255 made for the gtt

There's no such thing. Aftermarket fuel pump is aftermarket. Any time you buy an aftermarket pump, you will always have to something to make it fit. Some are trivial, some take 5s more work.

Its worth mentioning that this is one of the things that don't really have write ups as they are generally pretty trivial. Don't necessarily go overboard because if you really need to beef up the wiring the stock fittings may not handle the amperage that an upgraded pump will draw.

Generally however the stuff is fairly trivial to fit unless you're really going for a BIG pump.

I never noticed any difference in the plug/wiring/general setup between the non turbo 34 and turbo 34 (but my non turbo base car was a 2.5).

Either way, it'll become apparent when you pull the current pump out as to what needs to happen by holding them side by side. It's always a good idea to get 14V to whatever pump you do choose, which is a seperate task but again not overly complicated and should* be documented here.. somewhere..