SAU Community

Gearbox rebuild/upgrade Getrag v160/233

So just got my R34 GTR after compliancing etc, and it sounds like it needs a new input shaft bearing! Not confirmed of course, but this is my (unqualified) diagnosis after some internet searching.

I want to get rid of the noise at idle/low rpm, so I'm going to get the box taken out and looked at, and hopefully fixed. I do understand that sometimes they can be noisy, but I think this noise is beyond normal.

However, I figure if i'm paying for labour to take the box out and open it up, I might aswell look to rebuild it? Car has 170k kms on it, so probably needs it now, or soon, anyhow.

The question I have though, is there, or has anyone done, an internal upgrade to the 6-speed box in the R34 GTR? I know that most people go to the sequential for a gearbox upgrade, but I like the H pattern, and wondered if anyone did a kit that uprated the internals of the getrag 6 speed?

Cheers

• 1 year later...
On 23/04/2021 at 12:36 AM, Diomedes said:

So just got my R34 GTR after compliancing etc, and it sounds like it needs a new input shaft bearing! Not confirmed of course, but this is my (unqualified) diagnosis after some internet searching.

I want to get rid of the noise at idle/low rpm, so I'm going to get the box taken out and looked at, and hopefully fixed. I do understand that sometimes they can be noisy, but I think this noise is beyond normal.

However, I figure if i'm paying for labour to take the box out and open it up, I might aswell look to rebuild it? Car has 170k kms on it, so probably needs it now, or soon, anyhow.

The question I have though, is there, or has anyone done, an internal upgrade to the 6-speed box in the R34 GTR? I know that most people go to the sequential for a gearbox upgrade, but I like the H pattern, and wondered if anyone did a kit that uprated the internals of the getrag 6 speed?

Cheers

Sorry for bumping this thread,

Diomedes did you found any rebuild kit for the Getrag? Need to rebuild it too

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 8:36 PM, JuanluGTR said:

Sorry for bumping this thread,

Diomedes did you found any rebuild kit for the Getrag? Need to rebuild it too

Nah, I think taking the box to neat and getting them to do their shot peening is probably what I will go with.