SAU Community

Fabrication of dual exhaust system For GTR

ylwgtr2

I decided to make a dual system for the car.....I have bought 10 X 90 degree stainless bends and 6 metres of stailess pipe to do the job....i may need to get some more bends but what i have will get me started....I have also bought 6 dual pipe flange plates and 2 catalytic converters and two mufflers......the pipe size is 2 1/2 inch....first part of the job is to bolt the flanges on the turbo dumps and cut the bends up to make the front pipe,then we tig weld them all together....heres a few pics of the front pipe being made....

so is this going to be like 350Z style? or Just the standard R34 GTR exhaust, but fatter twin pipes? Looking good so far, and your car looks soooo shiny! I'm guessing the paint job came out rather well :rofl:

ooo, you got the front/rear bumpers on, ready for the line up yet?

cheers.

Woah ho! Looks like all the panels are on the car again! :rofl:

The piping is looking good, Troy. I'm thinking of doing my own front pipe as well hehe (don't know how bad it will turn out, but going to give it a go). Just a few questions,

1/. Where do you get the flanges from? or are you using the old flanges plate? Does it matter if the size is different from the flange and the pipe? (ie flange 2.5inch to 3inch pipe)

2/. Is there alot of chance of air leaking from the welded area? (i'm a beginner and ther is no ways I can do a as good welding job as you hehe) and does it matter if it does leak?

Not sure what you mean by 350Z style..... I will post more pics of the system as it get fabricated....i think we should wait untill you get your car...then we will do the match up as i am not to keen on playing with same one elses bumpers(neither would they be :rofl:)...dont worry too much about it chinny...we will get them to fit nicely......Aaron....personally i would be using new flange plates and make sure they are the same size as your pipe....having said that if your dump is x size...then it should be that size......make sure your welding them with a Tig or at least a Mig welder....If using a Mig turn your wire feed down as low as possible and the current as high as you can get it without burning a new arse in the pipe....and make sure your cuts and joins are a tight/butt up fit to each other....use a drop saw or band saw to cut the pipes,this way the cuts will be true to each other.I would try to avoid using a Mig for pipes....the only Mig welder i used that would be suitable for a top notch finish was a Migtronic brand....I have to say this thing was awsome.Its activation switch was a micro switch the gave a 3 second delay between wire feed on the initial push so it would purge the job with argon before it striked,then once it striked you had a wire feed speed knod on the torch so you could feed more wire or less wire depending on the gap between the pipes...however it cost the guy 8 grand....a small Inverter such as a Caddy Tig can be bought for about 1500 new from BOC....oh and aaron,make sure you weld it properly,we wouldnt want it to leak...just have a go on a few peices of scrap first

hehe yeah I think I will have a go at scraps first haha

Where do you get new flanges from Troy?

Use cat plates from a VN commodore......get them from an exhaust place....alternatively you can cut them out with a plasma cutter

Very talented man indeed.

On a side note is this the car that I saw stripped outside a certain panel shop for a few weeks on the same road where I work? ( western suburbs> somerville> duty ) The brackets will make sense if its you.

almost finished it today......I got the rear muffler section finished,dummied it up and started it.....sounds like a superbike :P....still have to make up the hanger brackets....Due to the complexity of the lower suspension rear under body diffuser its a very tight fit i might rework one of the pipes over to the right side of the vehicle and back under the spare wheel well to stop it being so vulnerable.....heres a pic of the rear muffler unit that i made today....And yes that was my car at onduty panels on sommerville rd....i am suffering from severe TIG UV sunburn now so i am going to chuck some afterburn lotion on :)