SAU Community

Nissan R32 GTR - Climate Control Mode Door Issue

Dyzzii

Have been trying to tackle an issue with my R32 GTR's climate control unit for a while now, and finally got some time to try and work out what's wrong. Basically, when I push the 'mode' button, it doesn't change where air is blowing - nor when I push the windscreen button. The door mode actuator just doesn't seem to move at all. Here is what I have done and found so far, but i'm honestly stuck at this point:

• I've pulled the mode actuator out and pulled the 'locking' gear off, and re-plugged the unit in - and when attempting to change modes the actuator arm still doesn't spin (however, it can now be spun by hand).
  • When carrying out the diagnosis built into the climate control unit, I get the '31, 32, 34, 35, 36' pattern displayed when in Step 3 - door mode position check. This indicates a connector issue, but the connector is definitely plugged into the actuator.
  • The voltage from the pins on the loom that plugs into the actuator doesn't appear to change when I change modes - I thought they would (for example, I thought it would read different when at 'feet' vs 'windscreen'. The voltage readings I got (going from left to right with the pins at the bottom) were: 0v, 0v, 0v, 0v, 4.7v, 4.7v, 0v, 4.7v, 4.7v, 0v.

Any help or assistance here would be much appreciated.

On 7/17/2022 at 5:55 PM, GTSBoy said:

Mode door actuator failure is very common. Pain in the arse to swap out too.

Possibly a bit of a positive / update. I removed the motor, and manually applied power to it and it spun happily both ways. The contacts themselves all seem to respond when they should when the main trigger wheel contacts the metal inside as well. Regardless, I pulled the motor apart and cleaned all the metal contacts, re-greased them with electrical grease and greased the gears. So it actually looks like the mode door actuator is in good working order.

However I now have no idea where to start looking from an electrical perspective. I'm hoping the central, main climate control unit isn't the culprit - but I believe that will have to be my next check. Just I don't know what I should be expecting it to do.

Edited by Dyzzii