SAU Community

New engine been built.

Hey everyone

just in a pickle could I please get some advice on what to do next 

so I have a r33 been built/tuned at 1000hp in 2021 and have done approximately 500-1000km. It’s on e85, i went to have a look over it and noticed there is a little bit of oil in the radiator on the weekend…

hope I haven’t done a head. 

car is idling normal and drives fine. Doesn’t over heat,smoke or anything etc. 

I rang the engine builder but I get the vibe that no matter what it is, they will say “oh we didn’t replace that when we done the build” or something. I could take it back to the workshop but it’s 8 hours away and I’m worried I’m gonna get stuck with the bill, if the motor is stuffed. They did give me 6 month’s warranty but I would of done 200km in that period as it had a few issues at the start.. tps sensor  and heat soak etc.

am I better off taking my chances and get him to look at it as he built it or am I better off taking it to crd or somewhere and get them to pull it apart and identify what is wrong just incase it is a machining job or something? Cause I doubt an any workshop would actually admit if they bugged something up? 

Is every workshop like this.. once they build it they don’t wanna be responsible if anything goes wrong at all? I could understand if it was 5000km or something but not 500km? 

please see attachment of oil in radiator and bleeder tank.. 

that bleeder tank was making a weird noise early on the scene but I sent it to him and he said it was normal.. is this correct? 

any info would be much appreciated 

was gonna flush radiator etc and change oil and re start the car and see if any oil pops up. Is it possible for it to be something small like residue from somewhere off the old build? Used the original cooling system that was on the fir28D27A1F-D3D7-4A32-81EF-859D9AA9969C.thumb.jpeg.fb042666836b76356a343f1093063909.jpeg

st build 

Hmm I have a feeling this post might make a few people angry but here goes...

I think it's understood that at the power level you're at, there is no warranty. The build is based on trust, you trust the machinist/engine builder/mechanics/tuner have all done their job properly and if something went wrong, sometimes shit just happens at that power level. 

Would you feel any different if CRD or Maatouks had done all the work and this still happened to you? 

If you think I'm crazy look at it this way. 1000HP out of an RB, that motor has a life expectancy that can be measured in hours (what I mean is, if you go to the track and properly use your 1000HP. Your only going to get X hours of 1000HP out of it before it will need to be pulled down). How do you put a warranty on that? 

It's a tricky spot your in. If you still trust the people working on your car, I'd take it back to them to resolve the issue. Hopefully you have a relationship with the people working there and your not 'just some random customer' and they actually want to help you and sort the car out. 

If you don't have a relationship with the people working on your car, I'd find a workshop that I was happy to form that relationship with. Or, I'd take over and start doing all of the work on the car myself.

• Like 1

Doesn't matter who built it or how much you paid, no-one is going to give you a soup to nuts warranty on a modified car build.

Sucks, but I learned that the hard way over the years so I gave up and started doing most things myself, at least then I'm not surprised by the bad workmanship