SAU Community

VTC was unplugged when I got my R33?

I just bought an R33 from Japanese Classic and the VTC solenoid was unplugged. It’s missing the clip that holds it in place. 

I know people unplug these when they have certain cams. What are y’all’s thought?  Just a broken clip? Maybe motor has cams?

2 minutes ago, jacobzking said:

I just bought an R33 from Japanese Classic and the VTC solenoid was unplugged. It’s missing the clip that holds it in place. 

I know people unplug these when they have certain cams. What are y’all’s thought?  Just a broken clip? Maybe motor has cams?

For the 10 seconds it takes, pop the valve cover off and take a look. If they're stock, plug it back in. If they're aftermarket and not VCT friendly. Replace them and then plug it back in.

May have been unplugged for other reasons as well (Noisy VCT cam gear!?) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TurboTapin said:

For the 10 seconds it takes, pop the valve cover off and take a look. If they're stock, plug it back in. If they're aftermarket and not VCT friendly. Replace them and then plug it back in.

May have been unplugged for other reasons as well (Noisy VCT cam gear!?) 

If I take the valve cover off, what should I be looking for?  I know what cams look like lol, but all cams pretty much look the same to me.

21 hours ago, jacobzking said:

If the cams are high lift and high duration it's possible swinging the cam can cause valve to piston contact. Only way to know for sure is to pull the timing cover and valve cover.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacobzking said:

If I take the valve cover off, what should I be looking for?  I know what cams look like lol, but all cams pretty much look the same to me.

Aftermarket cams are sometimes marked with make or model. OEM's also have paint marks on them which I don't believe aftermarket companies do.