SAU Community

strange noise on maximum boost

I get this screeching / squeeking noise when I'm on maximum boost (0.8bar). On other boost level's it's fine but only on 0.8bar. I don't have a boost controller but its not spiking. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Is my turbo going to die soon?

Current engine mods are 3" turbo back, Blitz front mount, 2 BOV's (Blitz and stock), A'PEXi Power Intake, Walbro fuel pump...

If its anything like the shrill whine/squeel that mine has recently developed at a similar boost level - I think or at least hope its because of a slight exhaust manifold leak I have recently discovered....

If its anything like the shrill whine/squeel that mine has recently developed at a similar boost level - I think or at least hope its because of a slight exhaust manifold leak I have recently discovered....

hmmm....I hope so. The noise really only occured when I got my exhaust replaced. Do you know what's involved in getting it fixed?

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong and for you guys sake I hope I am but I thought a screeching type sound from the turbo was a sign of excessive shaft play.

The screech is the compressor wheel hitting the housing or something like that.

I get this screeching / squeeking noise when I'm on maximum boost (0.8bar)....

Wouldn't be acompanied by smoke comming from the back wheels and a tendancy for the rear end of the car to step out would it??? :)

Sorry - couldn't resist that one.

Check that it's not fan/AC belts slipping also.

I also had a screaming sorta noise coming from the turbo for the last month. I thought maybe the turbo wheels were scraping the housing. I sussed it all out, and found that all my nuts holding the turbo to the manifold were loose as! Gave them all a good tightening, and now no more noise!

So check that out, or perhaps the turbo gasket is gone.

I had this problem too, Mechanic took apart the manifold and pipes, all gaskets needed replacing and i had 3 cracked bolts holding the manifold to the block. I also got the turbo checked out at (Central Cost Turbo's) and it got the clean bill of health. I think i actually gained some GO! power form all the gaskets and tightned bolts....

It cost me a couple of hundred for parts and labour..... (Not including the beer Macca's and Smokes..)

Great Name Lazza!!!

L :P

definitely lose bolts on the either the exhaust to turbo or turbo to manifold.

if you leave it, they will eventually burn out the gasket in between if it already hasn't.

I don't think that they are burnt out yet as you are only getting the sound at full boost.

if it completely burnt out, you would hear it at idle.. sort of sounds like a lawn mower..