SAU Community

Tow Bars for Stageas

Sydneykid

no it only has to have a compliance plate, i'm probably going to get one rated at 2000kgs.

I'm meeting with Max today at 6pm so he can have a look at the car and we can discuss the requirements.

Will fill you in on the details after.

Anyone else want in?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oooo, me, i'm already in canberra so let me know how it goes

Right... i spoke to Max at Towbars of Woden this evening, took my Stagea around for him to have a look.

Max also said the chassis of the Stagea is somewhat special, having an extra cross member which will make it very strong.

Towbar manufacturing costs:

Standard (rated to about 1300kg) - about $350

Heavy Duty (rated to over 2000kg) - about $650

Compliance plates for custom fitted towbars:

Single towbar - $550

extra towbars for same vehicle - about $100 each

So if three of us want tow bars and all want it fully legal and complianced, we would only pay $250 each compliance on top of the Towbar manufacturing cost.

We don't necessarily need to get the towbars complianced though. They can be fitted without the compliance plate, they just wont be completely street legal.

Quick question, does your car have a rear lip on the bumper? i was just thinking it might be an issue if the lip is there or not.

Not sure what you mean by lip... but it's the same as in the picture (i'm at work a don't have a pic of my car 's rear bumper here!)

And max said there'd be no problem clearing it, he'd just make it flush with the underside of the rear bar.

post-17581-1132869648.jpg

excellent. well that's the same sort of height my rear bumper comes down. sounds like a winner

that's the lip i was talking about

Yep, that's sweet.

How keen are you Terminal?

Do you want it complianced (An extra $250 each if all three of us do it together)?

I'm organising to get mine made next week with any luck.

How does that suit you Drifter, when did you need yours made by?

Perhaps he can use my car to make yours first and then make mine after that, as I don't need a towball until before Xmas.

Drifter, you said you wanted yours complianced, does that still stand, given the cost?

yeah i'm keen to get it done now. i was thinking it over during the week and i'd like to get one made up. will thye have a removable ball? i don't want a tongue sticking out to wang my shin on all the time. How is the light plug going to be set up? will it be a hang out the boot thing or a permanent plug attached to the side of the tow bar?

yeah i'm keen to get it done now. i was thinking it over during the week and i'd like to get one made up. will thye have a removable ball? i don't want a tongue sticking out to wang my shin on all the time. How is the light plug going to be set up? will it be a hang out the boot thing or a permanent plug attached to the side of the tow bar?

oooh... oooh.... oooh!

Too many questions I hadn't even considered.

Removable ball - Yes. I did speak to him about that. The standard towbar has a ball on a tongue (i think) that can be removed by undoing two bolts.

The heavy duty towbar has a square, shaped slide, pin fixed removable ball. I think i like it more!

Not sure about the light plug... I assume it is fixed next to the ball. That's what he had on his car.

I don't like the hang out the boot one's, considering he is custom making them though, you can probably have whatever you like!

Excellent. I might have to weigh up the options. i might go for a heavy duty, but i'm just trying to think what i'll have to tow at that weight.

I don't mind where the plug goes, just wondering.

thought it might be easier to make one myself, i'm about half way through it, so i should finish it on monday. sorry if i have messed you guys around.

Hmmm...show us some pics. What's it going to cost you? How are you doing it - starting from scratch or modifying an existing towbar?

Not too big a deal for me, I've got to fit one anyway before XMas.

Terminal - I also kinda like the idea of the heavy duty bar, but also don't know what I'd need to tow that would be that heavy. I don't race cars (yet).

I do prefer the look and ease of removal of the heavy duty one though.

Terminal - I also kinda like the idea of the heavy duty bar, but also don't know what I'd need to tow that would be that heavy. I don't race cars (yet).

I do prefer the look and ease of removal of the heavy duty one though.

Have you got a pick of what his looked like?

And (after he does the first one, so that he can pre make them) how long does he need your car for? Cause it sounds better than what I can get down here in Melbourne, so a quick trip might be called for...

Ian

Have you got a pick of what his looked like?

And (after he does the first one, so that he can pre make them) how long does he need your car for? Cause it sounds better than what I can get down here in Melbourne, so a quick trip might be called for...

Ian

They look like a standard towbar (much like a hayman reese) - I'll try and get a pic. He needs my car for one day for the prefab and then he fits it later in the week - chances are mine will be the first he does.

They look like a standard towbar (much like a hayman reese) - I'll try and get a pic. He needs my car for one day for the prefab and then he fits it later in the week - chances are mine will be the first he does.

Do we know if they are identical for a series 1 and series 2???

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Well i have S1 in Canberra

actually i think i have the only S1 in canberra, all the others i know of are S2

UPDATE:

Terminal and I have both seen Max at Towbars of Woden.

Max is building us two heavy duty towbars with a removable ball that should be capable of towing around 2500kg, although Max thinks the certifier will only rate them to 1500-1800kg (apparently he's very conservative).

The S1 and S2 chassis is identical.

Anyone else interested - now's your chance???

Takes him about 1 week to build.