SAU Community

Tow Bars for Stageas

Sydneykid

And that's the 2000kg one? And did he also include the bit that goes into it? And where do the electrics plug into - a lead out of the boot, or is that a socket on the left hand side?

Ian

Yep... he thinks it'll do 2500kg max.

The tow ball has been removed. Here's another pic with the ball in it. The plug on the left of the ball is for the electricals.

post-17581-1135028377.jpg

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep... he thinks it'll do 2500kg max.

The tow ball has been removed. Here's another pic with the ball in it. The plug on the left of the ball is for the electricals.

Can you please take some shots from underneath, I really woudl like to see how and where it attaches. Particulary around the muffler area.

:D cheers ;)

Can you please take some shots from underneath, I really woudl like to see how and where it attaches.  Particulary around the muffler area.

:) cheers :(

Me too - more pics! :-)

Tee, the good news is (for me) the back of your car looks the same as mine (they are both series 2 four s, but mine was after the 2000 update, so it might have been different...). ie

http://www.r34skyline.com/wagon/IMG_5777.jpg

http://www.r34skyline.com/wagon/IMG_5778.jpg

http://www.r34skyline.com/wagon/IMG_5779.jpg

You agree?

(I haven't imbedded them due to the size).

And no, they aren't scratches, the car is just covered in light colored dirt (we were on a dirt rd on sunday..)

So I suspect I'll be driving up to canberra to get one.. Have to go to Sydney anyway, so I'll do it on the way... But put a few clearer pics up first!

Ian

Ian, your's and mine are identical by the looks of it. The S1 and S2 chassis are also the same.

If you want one, you'll have to call Max and tell him ASAP before he fits or sends out the last two he has made. Once they're gone he wont have a template to work off, so he'd need your car for a day to measure etc and then a week later he'd need your car another half day to fit.

SK and others -

Here's pics, predominantly of the underside.

If you want some specific ones let me know.

post-17581-1135111862.jpg

post-17581-1135111890.jpg

post-17581-1135111940.jpg

post-17581-1135111970.jpg

post-17581-1135112005.jpg

post-17581-1135112041.jpg

post-17581-1135112220.jpg

post-17581-1135112408.jpg

post-17581-1135112631.jpg

Ian, your's and mine are identical by the looks of it. The S1 and S2 chassis are also the same.

If you want one, you'll have to call Max and tell him ASAP before he fits or sends out the last two he has made. Once they're gone he wont have a template to work off, so he'd need your car for a day to measure etc and then a week later he'd need your car another half day to fit.

SK and others -

Here's pics, predominantly of the underside.

If you want some specific ones let me know.

Thanks, that's a big help.

It attaches exactly the same as my current one, everything is just bigger, thicker and wider.

One more picture please, the inside of the spare wheel well, where the bolt comes through from the centre toe bar bracket.

:cheers: cheers :)

Looks good.  But could be a bit better painted it looks like it has been painted on the car.

I'm think I will give Max a call tomorrow.

Better painted??? I don't think the tow bar is painted at all. I may be wrong.

The metal that he welds and fabricates comes as it. As far as I'm aware their isn't any painting at all. A painted towbar would just chip and crack because they are such a high wear area.

• 2 weeks later...

here's my tow bar, just for anyones interest. it's exactly the same as Tee's, but max said because my exhaust was different he mounted it slightly different, i think just an extra bolt or something he said, but the bar is exactly the same.

towbar6.jpg

towbar5.jpg

towbar7.jpg

towbar2.jpg

towbar4.jpg

Terminal you have my FGK exhaust right?

If you do, mate, ill buy a towbar now and get it sent down as i know it fits, ill get someone here to fit it for me, shouldnt be too much to fit ey.

What the retail on one of those.

Thanks,

Alex

I spoke to Max today to organise getting one for myself. He wanted $500 not fitted plus freight. He said it would come with everything required including instructions. He was really busy so much so that he is going to call me back when he has a chance to arrange payment.

See bellow for the details on these tow bars that Max sent me last night.

Chris,

Following is relevant data re this towbar:

a. General Description.

Towbar comprises a main cross bar 75 x 50mm (5mm wall thickness) with 8mm steel plate brackets at each end to attach to chassis rails. At passenger (muffler) side the bracket is shaped to clear muffler and rubber supports and is attached to chassis by two 8mm bolts plus two 10mm through bolts. on  driver's side, the bracket is attached by three 10mm bolts plus on existing bolt in chassis rail. In the centre the bar is attached the bottom of wheel well to improve vertical download. Configuration is box hitch receiver type with standard Hayman Reese 51 mm TBM (Trailer Ball Mount).

b. Fitting.

Detailed fitting instructions will be provided. A moderate level of skill is required. In outline. fitting involves:

* Remove bumper bar

* Cut out section approx 80mm x 80mm at bottom centre

* Remove muffler

* Modify rear muffler hanger to clear towbar when mounted

* Drill two additional holes through chassis rail using hole in towbar as guide

* Position towbar & attach using high tensile bolts provided.

* Refit bumper bar and modify cut-out as necessary.

* Connect 5 core electric cable and plug by tapping into left and right tail lamp harness as necessary.

c. Warranty.

I provide a lifetime limited warranty on the towbar and written copy will be provided. I cannot warrant installation but apart from minor variations between Stagea models you should no have any real problems.

d, Rating and Certification.

Based on rating for vehicles of similar size and power (eg Magna), I would assess the towing capacity to be between 1.5 and 2 tonnes. When the two towbars I have completed are certified next week, the ACT accredited engineer will certify them as legal and decide a rating. I will let you know what this is. I am not aware of the legal requirements in other States. My warranty will cover quality, durability etc but legal certification (if required) must be addressed in the state of vehicle registration.

e. Price and Availability.

Supplied price is $550 incl GST plus freight. Freight for 2 bars would be about $40 . Both towbars would be available within 10 days of payment which may be made by bank cheque, direct deposit or credit card.

f. Quality Assurance.

I am happy to provide the names and phone numbers of the two owners of bars already fitted if you do not already know them.

Will provide more data following certification. Please email me if you have any questions.

Regards

Max

Im still in, at least now i know we could give it a got fitting them outselves.

So $600 for a towbar is good.

Let me know

Sorry all, I've been on a desserted island for the last two weeks.

The price is for a heavy duty towbar. You could potentially get a bar cheaper than that and Max (Towbars of Woden) does make them. But for a small amount extra, you get a heavy duty towbar with a higher towing capacity and the benefit of the ease of removal.