Sydneykid

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

A FOAF told me that independant rear suspensions and towing heavy stuff (ie bigger then your 6X4) dont mix. He reckons you open yourself up to the possibility of some sort of oscillation (cant remember his terminology) that can get your rear end very light and then sideways. Better off with a solid rear axle for towing cars etc.

But then come to think of it my Cressida was an IRS and I used to tow a car trailer with cars on all the time at 90-100 k's.

So, is there any truth to this or can some bust the myth....gee I miss that show..

A FOAF told me that independant rear suspensions and towing heavy stuff (ie bigger then your 6X4) dont mix. He reckons you open yourself up to the possibility of some sort of oscillation (cant remember his terminology)  that can get your rear end very light and then sideways. Better off with a solid rear axle for towing cars etc.

But then come to think of it my Cressida was an IRS and I used to tow a car trailer with cars on all the time at 90-100 k's.

So, is there any truth to this or can some bust the myth....gee I miss that show..

There is no doubt that leaf sprung, solid axle, rear end is better for towing, look at a semi for proof of that. But with good shocks and stabiliser bars I have found no issues with IRS, and I have towed interstate with race cars on the back many times.

If you want to tow all the time then buy a truck, otherwise the Stagea is the best for both towing and non towing activites, it does them all very well. A truck is always a truck, even when its not towing.

:( cheers :(

Edited by Sydneykid

Prestige (melbourne) rang me back today to say they could only do up to 1500kg (their test machine could only certify up to that) but they have given me the name of someone else in melbourne who can do them much higher... Going to give them a ring tommorrow...

too late for alex and co, and I still might be getting max to do mine anyway.. Was going to take the stagea up to sydney a few weeks ago (and was going to drop into canberra onthe way), but took the R34 skyline instead - as I haven't got the cruise control on the stagea yet (going in on friday)...

Ian

I wont be touching boats etc

I used to tow my 32 footer (since sold) - but I kept an old V8 range rover (2.5 tonne) to do it.. Anything else 1) couldn't get it up the boat ramp, 2) would go sideways on the road if there was a cross wind, and 3) wouldn't pull it up a decent hill. I know this because my brother in law once tried to borrow the boat, using his falcon....

The moral is - be real carefull if you are pulling something heavy, independant of what your towbar is rated at!!!!

Ian

• 1 month later...

How have the guys who got them sent down to Melbourne gone? Report & pictures????

I have found someone in Melbourne who will do a 2000kg rated one for $770 fully installed - just wondering if I should get one sent down, or get it built locally...

Ian

leaf springs are definately better for towing as it doesnt allow the sideways swinging of the rear end of the car unlike coilovers. i towed my vl calais rb26 on a car trailer about 4-5 times with my vs commodore v6 auto and damn was it a handful, and i couldnt go above 80kmh or it would sway like crazy, i absolutely hated it and refused to tow with it, and ended up using my old mans hilux with leaf springs and u can go over 100kmh easy as. gotta remember my commodore had stock springs/shockies so they are like jelly which didnt help.

I have my tow bar, ready to install it etc, BUT I am lazy as of yet to get it installed as there is a little bit of welding needed.

I may do it some time this week, need the standard exhaust hanger to be englarged....

It was 570$ delivered for me, might pay someone $100 to install it, or if i DIY should be about $20 just to get someone to weld the hanger for me.

leaf springs are definately better for towing as it doesnt allow the sideways swinging of the rear end of the car unlike coilovers. i towed my vl calais rb26 on a car trailer about 4-5 times with my vs commodore v6 auto and damn was it a handful, and i couldnt go above 80kmh or it would sway like crazy, i absolutely hated it and refused to tow with it, and ended up using my old mans hilux with leaf springs and u can go over 100kmh easy as. gotta remember my commodore had stock springs/shockies so they are like jelly which didnt help.

Sorry I don't believe swaying has anything to do with the rear suspension, I tow behind a 1tonne navara with live axle/ leaf springs and used to get bad swaying above 90. It relates to alignment on the trailers wheels and the centre of gravity of the load (must be forward of the centre of the trailers axles)

Have to say that I agree with Duncan. My Cressida towed the Mini on a car trailer up and down the highway with no problems. And the axles were bent slighty.

But I did find certain (towing) cars did make the trailer handle differently - this was due to the different static heights of the towball which seemed to change weight distribution between the front and rear axles.

yeah sounds right, damn was it dangerous, and nearly lost the car and trailer/vl once from swaying, :P

my rear end of the vs commo was wayyy down so maybe that explains it and the car was on the trailer facing the same way as the vs.

i find the hilux heaps better, and dont plan on towing anything for a while anyways now the stagea is going to be road drivable :D

Have to say that I agree with Duncan. My Cressida towed the Mini on a car trailer up and down the highway with no problems. And the axles were bent slighty.

But I did find certain (towing) cars did make the trailer handle differently - this was due to the different static heights of the towball which seemed to change weight distribution between the front and rear axles.

I agree with that when I tow my dads trailer with my Territory its all over the shop as the weight distribution is all wrong as the tow hitch is higher than what is best suited for the trailer. However as I have a reese hitch and have another towball from another car that curves downwards I have been able to fix this problem quite easily. I went and spoke to ford and asked why the hitch is so high and straight and they said it was to prevent the tow hitch from interfering with the reverse sensors of the vehicle.

I have my tow bar, ready to install it etc, BUT I am lazy as of yet to get it installed as there is a little bit of welding needed.

I may do it some time this week, need the standard exhaust hanger to be englarged....

It was 570$ delivered for me, might pay someone $100 to install it, or if i DIY should be about $20 just to get someone to weld the hanger for me.

Alex, can you put up some detailed pictures of what he sent down, and say what the bit of welding you have to do is??

Ian

I will try to get around to taking photos. Its pretty well made IMO.

The welding is due to the fact that the towbar mounts to the chassis rails, which is also where the last exhaust hanger mounts. For the hanger to fit over the towbar, it needs to be cut in half and extended 10mm to suit.

But, yes, if it wasnt for that little annoyance, I would have done it yonks ago.