SAU Community

R34's and HID Xenon Headlights (confusion)

Hi all,

I've been searching and have only really found one post regarding this topic. See:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...light=r34+xenon

The post still left me a bit confused and was wondering if anyone could help clear up some questions:

1) "Theoretically", when R34 GTT's get imported into Australia, the compliancers have to remove the HID lights because of self cleaning and levelling issues?

2) The self cleaning and levelling did not come with the R34's as opposed to the late series BMW's that come into Aust? Correct?

3) The vast majority of R34 GTT's out there that still have working HIDs in them because they have either re-fitted them or the compliancers didnt really remove them completely (or at all).

4) Different imported GTT's have their HID disabled in different ways. Some have their complete headlight housing replaced, some wires cut, some bulbs replaced?

If some have the complete housing replaced, what are they replaced with? Can someone kindly post different pics of the different housings/headlights.

5) If a GTT has 'Xenon' written inside the headlight housing, does this mean that they have HIDs? ie. Im guessing you could still somehow change the wiring and housing a little to fit a normal halogen bulb. The only really way to tell is by seeing what the beam lokos like when the headlights are on corect?

6) The difficulty and cost of getting HID back in your R34 GTT is dependent on whether you have the original 'Xenon' housing and the wires/bulbs/ballasts/etc. If you have another housing, then its gonna be a big job ie. a full replacement?

Guest RedLineGTR

1. Yes That's True.

2. Yes That's True.

3. Yes.

4. I know that some have the bulbs replaced and/or wires cut as well but most of them get fitted with non Xenon headlights (The Whole headlight). Don’t have any pictures of specific details but if I find some I’ll post them up.

5. Yes if it says "Xenon" on the headlights they will have HID if it doesn’t then back to the question they would have had the housing replaced but with what I don't know.

6. Most people buy the whole headlight in the Xenon format if they get halogen headlights after compliance or they do a deal with the people who compliance the car. In most cases if the Xenon lights are modified to use halogen globes it would be hard to even find the parts to convert them back...in that case most people go for an aftermarket HID kit.

Hope it answers some of your questions. If I do find out more info about the "housings" etc I’ll post it up for you. Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong about something. Or explain an answer in more detail.

My 2 Cents. Thanks Rob

Guest RedLineGTR

Non Xenon Headlights Used In Compliance The Headlights are from a basic version of the R34 Like a GT or some 4 Doors.

nonxenon.jpg

True Xenon Headlights which the cars come in to australia with and get replaced with the above. But in most cases people source a pair of genuine Xenons through importers etc and fit them (direct swap of whole headlights).

truexenon.jpg

Thanks Rob

Yeah, don't meet the light requirements, ie. self leveling/cleaning.

My car is in the process of getting complianced done in Sydney, and for those that say you have to destroy the Xenons, as far as i know, that's wrong. They are factory standard, and not a modification. Mine are being removed, boxed up, and sent down with the car for me to do what i want with after i rego it. Xenon's shouldn't be destroyed or sold by the compliancer without u knowing.

cheers.

Yeah, don't meet the light requirements, ie. self leveling/cleaning.

My car is in the process of getting complianced done in Sydney, and for those that say you have to destroy the Xenons, as far as i know, that's wrong. They are factory standard, and not a modification. Mine are being removed, boxed up, and sent down with the car for me to do what i want with after i rego it. Xenon's shouldn't be destroyed or sold by the compliancer without u knowing.

cheers.

I have done quite a lot of digging on the issue of HID lights. From my understanding, they don't have to be self-levelling (they must be aimed/adjusted within a certain tolerance), but they do have to be self-cleaning. So if you wanted to legally have them on your R34, you would need to retrofit some headlight washers from another car then get an engineer to sign off on them

Lucien.

self leveling and self cleaning? I thought R34 GTT has the option of manual leveling at the ****pit..is that not allowed? Like the Silvia's there's a dial which you can choose the level of the light.

As for self cleaning...i wonder why this feature is not required in Japan...if its not required...i wonder why its required here?

homer2288: different design rules we've got here than the rest of the world, in fact it's pretty much unique :) that's half the reason why our roads is somewhat safer.

Heard from a semi-reliable source that one engineer's evidence will include the Xenon headlights in future so they might not need to be replaced/disabled/crushed/whatever in order to get past compliance.