SAU Community

Faulty Coils? Misfire At High Rpm? Read This.

Zahos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I fitted my Splitfire Coils yesterday (thanks Nengun) and they are very nice. Soon as I get my exhaust manifold fixed everything should be back to tip-top order :cheers:

just wondering do u cover the hole lot? or just the steam of it?
I have read the previous replys and and not sure where exactly you are putting the epoxy glue on the pack.

If you look at my 4th post, I have posted pictures of where to put it.... doesn't get any easier

You guys are confused about the whole silicon thing.

What you want to do is spray the coils liberally with silicon spray

It's an aerosol lubricant, looks & feels like oil, repels moisture superbly - not a curing sealant.

I had an arcing coil issue some time back, now whenever I change the plugs I spray the coils liberally and hey presto no more probs. If you're hellbent on a more permanent fix, why not tape them up with (are u ready for this) self amalgamating butyl tape. Goes on like leccy tape, then heat with your paint stripping gun etc, et voila fuses together and shrinks around the coil insulating and waterproofing it.

When I was contracting for Sydney Water we used this stuff on external electrical connectors on sensitive datalogging equipment that was mounted inside sewers - not an electronics friendly environment. High temps, lethal caustic gases and flooding are the norm.

Should be able to get this stuff from Electrical wholesalers, Blackwoods etc.

M'kay ??

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but I would be inclined to coat the inside with the goo that Telstra use for cable jointing to repel moisture. I don't know it's proper name - but it's clear & has the texture of grease. I reckon leccy wholesalers would have it.

Just thought I would update this thread with some more info....

Although my coils were covered in araldyte, they started playing up again on the weekend, so I pulled them out including spark plugs to see what was going on....

Well first of all, my tuner gapped my spark plugs like so:

1:0.6mm, 2:0.7mm, 3:0.7mm 4:0.75mm, 5:0.6mm, 6:0.6mm

not to mention a whole bunch of bolts missing all over the place, but anyhow, once they were re-gapped I turned to the coils.

Upon inspection the araldyte looked fine. No cracks, no chips.

So I took the rubber boots off, and the little springs inside the shaft and notice the shafts were a little corroded (that blue/green crap you get on your battery terminals). So I sprayed the shafts with WD40, and cleaned them out with steel wool. The car runs better than it ever has now, and is very smooth.

So also take this into consideration when looking at your coils.

Z

You've raised a good point, Zahos.

moisture seems to play more in the faulty coil/misfire scenario than many of us had previously thought. I revived one dead coil and brought two DOA's back to life with silicon spray, and noticed the same corrosion @ the spring terminal. I still reckon heaps of gooduns get tossed, where the real culprit is condensation.

My 2 zloty

• 3 months later...