SAU Community

Faulty Coils? Misfire At High Rpm? Read This.

Zahos

If there is such a product called spray on silicon i will be try this over the weekend.

Another theory im curious about is; If the silicon is effective in insulating the spark, couldnt you use a bigger gapping as you would have a very strong spark thus more power? The reason being is reducing you gap also reduces power/kw on the dyno.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another theory im curious about is; If the silicon is effective in insulating the spark, couldnt you use a bigger gapping as you would have a very strong spark thus more power?  The reason being is reducing you gap also reduces power/kw on the dyno.
I've actually had a few good tuners tell me that regapping your plugs 'down' to 0.7-0.7mm is actually a work around for bad spark (bad plugs or bad coils). They both said 12psi (stock turbo/ecu) can be obtained by a good set of coils/sparkplugs.

Silcone is a good insulator, but I don't know if it will stick to the particular type of plastic the coil packs are made of.

At the plastic welding place I went to, I asked what alternatives there are to araldite, and he said possibly fibre glass (just the resin, which is also an epoxy), but nothing will stick better than araldite.

Why are you pushing for other alternatives?

In regards to gap, theoretically, yes.... you can increase your gap now for a bigger spark.

well I am going to coat my plugs in a layer of silicon (roof and gutter so it wont react with anything), and see how thats works. that should stop the spark! Iam only pushing for silicon cause araldite doesn't perform well under heat, the glue begins to get soft and sticky again, and may run!

it shouldn't.

if you look at the back of the coil pack (the tallest part), it is sealed off with an epoxy - not much different to araldite. Well this is what I was told when I took them to get plastic welded. I told the dude that temps around the coil get quite hot, and he said it wont be an issue.

Tell is if the silicone sticks, and I was told not many thinks will stick to this type of thermoplastic besides araldite. So there may be a concern of the silicone peeling off after a few weeks or so.

Hi guys,

My R32 GTR was also missing at high revs with above stock boost... I changed my plugs to Iridiums and then the problem became more apparent. I check my coils and there were two that were cracked. I've coated the coils now in "Permatex Ultra Black HI-Temp RTV silicone gasket maker" and it's look like the missing is gone in all but the highest(1.3 bar) boost setting.

I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Cheers,

Brad

My missing has been completely fixed now on both 7 and 12psi. The only problem I have now (which is the same as before the missing started) is that on 12psi it feels flat in the higher rpm's.

• 1 month later...

Mine is slooowly starting to flat spot "now and then" again, I only drive it 50km a week tho. If I wasn't selling it I would have fitted new Splitfire coils 2mths ago :)

I have been having some recent problems with my rb25. It seems to be popping and back firing when acceleration between 4 and 7 rpm. I have changed coil packs, spark plugs, igniter box even the coil pack loom and still no luck.

I thought it could possibly be something to do with my fuelk system as it seem sto feel like fuel cut when it happens. If anyone has come across the same problem could they please e-mail me on, [email protected] as i have done nearly everything and ready to give up.

I have read the previous replys and and not sure where exactly you are putting the epoxy glue on the pack.

Thanks, James

• 2 weeks later...