SAU Community

Faulty Coils? Misfire At High Rpm? Read This.

Zahos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the bosch ones like the Nissan/Splitfire ones or like a lead/distributor sorta setup?

UMMM yeah

I dont know the way it is set up is that the coils are mounted on the rear firewall and the ignitor has been move to sit underneath the Coils and then just run 6 leads to the spark plugs directly from the coils

Its coming from the side of the coil. Does this mean there is a small crack on the side? You can see burn marks on the side from where it is getting warm from the little leak..

yep means theres a crack, tape/glue it up and see if it improves

I will be having a look at my coil packs this weekend, as I currently have 4k-5k+ rev problems.

I think I will clean them first and have a good look, and glue them if cracks are obvious.

I think replacing them will be the best option in the longrun.

Will let you guys know how I go.

OK so my mate helps me take out the coils on my GTT. We look at all of them and can not find a single crack or blemish, they all look new.

We tape them up anyway and go for a drive, problem is still there.

So we decide to gap the plugs at .8, SO FAR THE PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!

He reckons it will be fine from now on, I hope he is right.

hey guys.. just wondering if urethane would be better than the araldite glue..

does anyone know?

Hey, It all depends on whether urethane is heat proof and has good electrical insualtive qualities.

Basically you need to insulate the coil packs from arcing if there is a crack in them.

Use whatever, as long as its heatproof to about 130 deg c and is an electrical insulator.

Chris :)

well i did it, i just used a razor to apply a liberal coat onto the front of it where i saw the crack (only 2 had cracks, and 1 had a burn mark)

.. im going to leave it for a while to dry.. heres how they look now..

ill post results later.

DSC00434.jpg

i just stuck them in and now its running alot better.. its still early to tell if the urethane is reliable or not but so far its looking the goods..

it costs around $18 a tube for the urethane.. im just not sure what the heat resistance is.

tried this with alrodite (how ever you spell it) still got 5k missing problem, have to bite the bullet and get some spitfires i think.

Hey, Have you checked your spark plug gap?

What boost and mods U running?

Just curious...

Haing a look back in the thread, it seems that most problems are either cracked coils or bad spark plug gap. If it wasn't this then it was fuel problems.... like fuel cut or blocked injectors...

:(

You guy's are Legends!!!!!

My RB25 180sx has been missing from about 4 grand fro ages now. It has been driving me nuts.

I pulled out the coli packs and there didn't seem to be any cracks, so i just taped them up to be sure. That didn't work.

So I followed the advice to pull out and gap all the plugs and also sprayed the small coils under the rubber boot with WD40.

Now the thing is running beautifully again :)

Thanks again! Top thread!

Jeff.

I have done this as well.. Yet to put them into the car.

One other thing I did was get some VHT Engine Block paint (400+ Degs). Taped up the electrical contacts and the very stem of the coil. Then gave them about 5 complete coats each.

Now I know that every possible section of the pack is coated one way or the other.

did the vht engine block paint on my coils (fire red). Seems to keep em cooler and works great.

The only problem is they take a long time to dry.

:P

I have done this as well.. Yet to put them into the car.

One other thing I did was get some VHT Engine Block paint (400+ Degs). Taped up the electrical contacts and the very stem of the coil. Then gave them about 5 complete coats each.

Now I know that every possible section of the pack is coated one way or the other.