SAU Community

Faulty Coils? Misfire At High Rpm? Read This.

Zahos

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listen to what Rolls has to say

I jsut put some octane boost/fuel system cleaner through my car and my car revs straight out now, no stopping, popping, nothing

is the only thing that has changed since i taped up my coils.

taping fixed it for a week but then it went back to normal

i think i may definately have to get my computer reprogrammed to run on 98 octane fuel as i cant afford to be buying octane boost ever tank of fuel

I jsut put some octane boost/fuel system cleaner through my car and my car revs straight out now, no stopping, popping, nothing

i think i may definately have to get my computer reprogrammed to run on 98 octane fuel as i cant afford to be buying octane boost ever tank of fuel

Yeah my popping was due to an injector problem. I ended up getting coils that definately worked and I still get the popping.

Using your standard electrical tape is not a permanent fix b/c the tape shrinks with heat.

It must have been a fluke with the octane booster b/c the difference that stuff makes is negligable in my experience.

So how are the coil packs hanging out guys ?????? An update as to whether the araldite works would be nice.

Hey rickhead,

I've been using it for 10-11? months now... still runs PERFECTLY.

If you do it though, make sure you do it right and spend the time to put plenty on in the right spots...

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy 'yall.

Just thought I'd mention that I had the problem, checked my colis and found 4 out of 6 coils had cracks. I areldited them up and the misfire has gone.

It's been 2 weeks now.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Chris

Guys,

I went against the trend here and used Roof/Tile/Gutter silicon. Its rated to 150 degrees C and I covered the entire pack in a thick coat leaving ony the plug clear.

I also gapped my plugs to 0.8mm since they were at 1.1mm. Seems fine so far but early days yet.... Update in a few weeks.

PS: Be careful when you put the coil pack bracket back in (the metal strip that hold 3 packs) it goes in a certain way. It even says UP and Front or rear on it. I missed it and almost cracked my coil packs :) whoops..... just a heads up!

I had a look under my bonnet when the car was warm and in the very dark I can see arcing on I think all of them!! They are not meant to do this I think. I might be better going for splitfires then. I have a used car warranty so I may be able to get them under warranty...we'll see.

They appear to be about 570 for the set - not too bad!

I can't believe the car is running well untill you get to 7psi or so. Looking forward to smooth running at 9 or 10psi :)

You have to look very hard for the arcing. I'm just running it woithout the spark plug cover and because its series one I have just cable tied the module to the brake lines...

I have pics but have been unable to post them but i got rid of the Standard Coils and have replaced them with Bosch 716 MEC coils $250.00 for the coils and $50.00 for leads works with the standard series 1 ignitor if i can post the pics to someone to upload them PM with your email address and i will send them

they are quite big though as the camera is 6 meg

Rob

On the same subject has anyone seen or used the AEM setup advertised in HPI occasionly? It has a plug for the ignitor to connect to and then it used leads like an ordinary setup. It claims superior performance to OEM coilpacks.

Anyone know the cost or had any experience with it? I imagine from the sounds of it the Bosch is a similar setup?

If you can see any light around the coils they are leaking right? I can only see it when it is very dark and it is only quite faint. But it is definately lighting up on 3or 4 coil packs.

The mechanic couldnt find it today. Maybe it wasn't dark enough..

is it possible to post this article regarding the ARM setup. Seems interesting.

On the same subject has anyone seen or used the AEM setup advertised in HPI occasionly? It has a plug for the ignitor to connect to and then it used leads like an ordinary setup. It claims superior performance to OEM coilpacks.

Anyone know the cost or had any experience with it? I imagine from the sounds of it the Bosch is a similar setup?

my car has not missed a beat since fitting the Bosch coils and the bonus is now changing plugs takes next to no time I do not even have to remove the crossover pipe.

the good thing about the bosch is i can at a later date fit a CDI to the coils

I only have faint light from the coils at idle. Can only be seen when very dark. Is this what is causing a misfire do you think? The mechanic reckons it could be CAS or module. He thinks you would see more arcing if it were a problem. He ran it on he dyno and could not see any big arcs. although the car was not that warm I don't think

Does it have to be a big arc to cause a misfire??

I only have faint light from the coils at idle.  Can only be seen when very dark.  Is this what is causing a misfire do you think?  The mechanic reckons it could be CAS or module.  He thinks you would see more arcing if it were a problem.  He ran it on he dyno and could not see any big arcs. although the car was not that warm I don't think

Does it have to be a big arc to cause a misfire??

Im pretty sure any arc at all will be taking current away from the spark which will at least weaken the spark, possibly causing a misfire.

If you can see where the spark is coming from, cover that area in glue/tape etc until it stops arcing and see if this fixes it.