SAU Community

Extremely Urgent Problem!!! Please Help Guys!

bucket

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if ppl would be able to give me a little hand regarding my mates problem. The reason why i bring it to your attention is i am well aware that %99 of you guys could be in the same feild.

I was wondering if you would be able to put a little input into a little problem i have. I am the owner of a Subaru WRX 99 model. Last night I received a vehicle defect from Queensland police on the grounds that my exhaust was louder than the manufacturer released system. (It is a APS 3 1/2 exhaust) I’m very concerned, as my interpretation of the law was that were allowed to work up to the level of 90db. I especially purchased a system that was the quietest available and is rated in 4 tests at (these are my test results) 86db, 87db, 87db & 87db respectively.

The only information i have been able to locate regarding this "infringment" is ;

Modified exhaust systems may be fitted to passenger vehicles provided the following conditions are met:

(a) The system is efficient.

(B) The exhaust system does not pass closer than 25mm to fuel tanks or the body floor.

© The system does not foul the body work or limit axle travel.

(d) No part of the system projects below the rim lower edge.

(e) The system terminates behind the last body panel.

(f) Systems on the left hand side of the vehicle do not deflect gases directly to the left.

(g) The noise level of the modified system must not exceed the noise level of the manufacturer’s original system by a noticeable amount.

I am unsure what i should do and im just asking if you would be able to provide me any comments that may assist in this. From what i can gather, this notice could be given to %99 of all performance car owners ?.

The only loop whole i can see is that it says "by a noticable amount" what can be classed as noticable?

Thanks for your time guys

Take the car to an engineer. They have a db meter to do the test. I always thought the exhaust had to be under a certain db and 3/4 throttle. If it is classed as legal by the engineer the epa or the govening body should let you off.

The other option is to get a silencer (a bit you stick in the end of the exhaust) whilst you are having it tested.

I dont know the rules that well, but I'm sure there are a number of people who have had the same issue. All we need now is for them to offer some advise.

Doc

Ps it also depends on what state you are from too.

Let's see now. Firstly, I would confirm that the 87dB is within the limits for ANY car exhaust noise. Then, ask Subaru what the ex-factory level is. (Don't mention the fact that 3dB increase is a doubling of the sound, let them point that out.)

The main defence for you would be the officer's ability to accuratley determine the 'loudness' of the exhaust. The human ear is not the most accurate measuring device, and as previously mentioned, 3dB change is double / half the sound level.

As you have suggested, a noticeable amount is a subjective evaluation. In the absence of a standard MY99 WRX available to make a side-by-side comparison with, there is really no way that such a subjective test could be valid. Therefore, the issue of the infringement was invalid.

Above all, when putting your case, be nice, so as not to put the police off-side.

Cheers guys..

PLEASE KEEP THE INPUT COMING...

yeh thats the main reason why i posted here as im well aware a fair few ppl would have had it done. im in QLD. So if anyone is albe to provide me some advice that would be sweet.

you guys may have seen him crusin , Silver WRX full custom body kit 17" always out thursdays, Roma, Riverside, Springhill.

One thing to note is that the law is up to the discretion of the Police Officer. Whilst I don't agree with this that is how it works. apprently the cops can do you over for noise louder than 5DB over ambient.

So if it was night time and nice and quiet then pretty much any car could get done but the cops will only pull over modified cars because they are easy targets.

I'd say fight the fine with an official test and a letter because if you are within the law then they shouldn't be allowed to book you.

I think it has come down to the police officer being very picky.

As said before, if the officer 'thinks' it might be too loud then he can give you a defect. By the sounds of it, if you drive it over the pits as it is it'll pass.

But take it to an exhaust place that can measure the DB of it, or failing that, take it to an engineer and get it tested/certified.

I've heard of some police being so picky that they'll defect you for not having a "H" pattern on the top of your gearstick kob !!!!!

I think we're pretty lucky here in CAnberra, the police are good.

BTW: if you do have a silencer and bolt it in place they won't pass it cause it's removable. You'll have to get it tac welded in place which will stuff the look of you tip :D

J

umm, u must be the 20th person i heard and know of within the last couple of week, got done for "modifying silencing device "

as far as i know , the cops are current doing any modify car over for the same defect and it a questionable defect, as it was all hearsay. well i know the local court room is full of ppls fighting simmilr case and sooner or later the magistrate will be pissed off and serve one up to the cops on some other related case. as far as defending ur case u need to get it tested by a independant company with the associated db testing device, and u have to also notify the DPP, that u are fighting the infrignment on the grounds of questionable or lack of measuring device used by the police force at time of infringement. normally it stops here, as they know tey got jack to work on and they have acchieve what they want is to cause grievance and disruption to your normal routine. FARKING COPS!!! I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION.