SAU Community

the basics of mods on the cefiro

kursed

ok fellas, I know I have been asking lots of basic questions - (but hey i'm new to this turbo thang...) so heres another one to add to the list.

I have bought a bleed valve, a boost gauge and am due to pick up my pod filter today. I have been talking to toshi about getting remapped, and its looking good.

So I was wondering, since I will be upping the boost a bit and adding a pod, I would need a dyno tune to make sure I am runnig safe boost right? (and hopefully to check the power increase)..

So if i was getting the ecu remapped then I would need a tune for that too correct? So if i got all the bits added to the car and then straight away had it remapped then could I go on dyno for 1 before and after tune?

Is it expensive to get a car dyno tuned (is it necessary)?

cheers for the newbi help

Luke

u remind of me when i first got this car.Wat to do wat to do. LOL

What type of bleed valve u buy?.. If its one of those turbosmart/gfb ones they spike and dont hold boost that well. E.g 15psi peak for 3 seconds then drop to 14 psi. As its single selonoid and not an EBC one.

Pod does shiet all just looks good in the engine :P. Stock airbox is better than a POD.

Yeah u would need a dyno tune to see if your car can handle more boost at different boost settings and getting the A/F mixes right otherwise running too lean on higher booost and melt your engine internals/blow turbo.

This is important If u think about it is a $50 dyno tune more important than your $2k plus engine?

TOSHI should be able to arrange the dyno tune for you as i think he dyno tunes and remaps a chip for u on teh spot somewhere in the hills area. U get like a couple of runs with b4 the rechip and after the rechip of your ecu on the dyno. To see the difference.

IMO: Im not getting a rechip done atm because i would rather wait till i had all my parts together. e.g FMIC, hks2530, injectors, AFM then get a rechip all in one go. beacuse if u do it know your chip will only be good for the current setup and will not be usufel when u get more mods on and hence will cost u another say 200 bux l8ters on for another rechip when u decide to put on more parst for more power.

Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps.

ok...

add all the bits on... get the ECU mapped and then dyno it... dyno is not just to see what gains u have but to make sure that ur guage is reading correctly.

EDIT - lol ceffo ur dreaming if a stock airbox with a stock filter does the same job :P

EDIT - lol ceffo ur dreaming if a stock airbox with a stock filter does the same job :D

Man this is one of thiose debates that wont be settled anytime soon. :P

U see i dynoed my car with a stock box then with the HKS pod afterwards just to see. Guess what same shiet. We all know the PODs justs gives u that little bit more noise when coupled with an atmo BOV. :D

So if i was getting the ecu remapped then I would need a tune for that too correct?

Your ECU/computer gets remapped with the new tune settings. So a remapping is always tuning, but tuning is not always remapping (as you can tune something else without touching the ECU).

With your mods listed I wouldn't bother with ECU re-chipping (ie. re-tuning) JUST yet. Some tech-heads can correct me here but my understanding is that even with stage 1 mods you don't need remapping - it's a nice-to-have, but for bang for buck doesn't represent much gain (ie. getting 3kw for $200 when you could have saved your $200 to tune the big mods).

I wouldn't chip till, at the very least, exhaust, intake, FMIC, boostup.

If it was me I'd probably even not upgrade ECU till getting an aftermarket turbo or cams or something similar that would significantly benefit from it.

Having said all that - if your tuner said your car would benefit from a remap then maybe something is out and there are enough gains to have to justify it.

You should when upping your boost go on the dyno just to check to see if's ok. My car is tuned for what I'm running yet when it went on the dyno it was pinging because the injectors weren't clean. dyno 1, car dead 0. << lets keep the car winning.

The most you'll pay is $80 for a dyno run (3 runs). If you're like ceffo and know the rights peoples $40.

this is what toshi said regarding power increase (i told him my mods):

"OK. I will be able to remap chip.

I think about 15hp-25 more power."

I forgot to mention i also have an aftermart 2.5 exhaust system (not sure about dump pipe, i don't know how to tell)...

It was going to cost about $250 with toshi. Including a few runs on dyno. this sounded fair to me.

So no one really thinks the remap is worthwhile yet? Interesting!

oh and the boost controller is a turboXS high performance boost controller...

I found this on it:

"HPBC has two (2) boost control mechanisms built into it. One is a ball and spring mechanism for large and coarse boost pressure increases and the other is a bleed valve system for precise boost pressure setting. The ball and spring mechanism keeps pressure out of the wastegate until the preset boost level is reached, significantly reducing wastegate creep and providing quicker turbo spool up."

I have not installed any of this gear yet (don't know how) and I was thinking I should do it all at once for the tune to make sure its set right.

Hi

I got wide band A/F meter.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

I be able to remap on the street and I be able to show how much quiker than std chip (can not check power).So you do not need dyno for check A/F.

Wishin tested my chip yesterday and his car increase about 25rwhp .

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...highlight=Toshi

The service Toshi provides is *not* expensive. In order to re-map an ECU it means he has to get (pay) someone to desolder the chip and insert a socket, then remap your chip on the dyno.

At $300 exchange this is CHEAP. Assume 1-2 hours to desolder and insert a socket, 2-3 hours in dyno and remapping + travel time. And then there's the followup service.

This means that he's charging around $90 / hour to completely change the tune of your engine. Try getting some else with tuning knowledge and see how much they charge! Once you've got the exchange ECU, re-tunes are fairly easy on the dyno and would presumably cost a lot less.

And, once you've had the tune, you may just be happy with your car for a lot longer, thus delaying the inevitable *MORE* mods!! :P

My 2c....

Noone said Toshi is expensive. Infact I've heard his name come up more and more recently heh heh. Mind you I don't think he writes your chip everytime but copies a base map then adjusts it - is that right Toshi?

Either way it is worth the money for the service.

What I was saying (and i think the other guys here) is for 15-25hp it's not worth it if you intend on doing more mods later..

I mean if you're not going to do any mods later then sure get the best you can out of what you have in which case you make a decision if $/kw is worth it or not.

But yeah I think if kursed intends on more mods then get as many mods you intend to do for a while THEN go get a remap.

Also kursed I hope you're going to our thing on Saturday - if ya'ar bring $7 for entry, $15 for ceffo (or however much it ends up being for the food and stuff) and bring ya car!

(http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...?t=53333&page=3)

I got my ecu re tuned by toshi and the car went from 185rwhp to 215rwhp!

he did a fantastic job. peak power was better but also 20-30 more hp everywhere. car spools quicker, uses less fuel, picks up more girls, goes faster...

Hi someonestolecc

my chip base is mins, central 20, my frinds chip ( he was professonal) and data system.

I make chip and test make chip and test....So this chip is my original for australia fuel.

Eary mins, central 20 chip is changing only hi rpm.My chip is changing all map.

Any way I m writting chip every time.

Could I meet you?

I'm near north sydney.

Please test my chip and I show you how to write map.

My ph no is 0410490049.

I bought std map from Japan for R33.

Because R33 chip can not read by eprom programer.

But tuned R33 map is my original.

YO, kursed, sorry to hijack your thread for a second, but i saw your car in the pics of the sydney meetup? your car loks uncannilly similiar to mine, cep't a have different wheels,

anyway, i can't help but notice that your car sits a bit lower to the ground than mine, what suspension you got under there homie? is it stock s13?