SAU Community

Tomei Poncams Installed ! Hmmm power...

rev210

Umm no. Idiot. Sorry Lucien :P

Roy - 1 bar though I have no boost controller or gauge so not entirely sure... Ben tells me that it is running 1 bar.

Nice thing is that now it has a big fat midrange, which I hoped and expected Tomei poncam gear to result in.

All mods are:

*Trust dumps / 3.5" exhaust

*Factory airbox with Nismo filter (love that stock look)

*SplitFire coils

*Adj cam wheels / cams

*PowerFC

*Oil cooler

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Ronin....good to see the e-mail notification still works after a few months. Well this weekend I pulled the engine from my GTR to prep it for the new HKS GT-ss turboes and also to see why/where the power has gone. As per my last posts in this thread my GTR with almost identical mods to yours only made 207rwkw on a Dyno Dynamics dyno...weird.

The turboes were fine, only done 35000km since previous owner had them rebuilt with 360 thrusts. No obvious leaks around the manifolds either.

Anyway its sitting on the workshop floor at the mo' and will be stipped down tomorrow and we'll see what we find....keep you posted.

Mike in NZ

hey marcus, when you say stock turbos, is that rebuilt with steel wheels or are we talking 100,000 odd km old factory originals? I have a set of the Greddy Trust pipes on the way from out buddy Nengun, so I would be stoked to see anything like this power.... cheers!

I will let you all know when I get it all on the GTR

700cc injectors

apexi PFC

split dumps

trust cooler 100mm

HKS dragger exhaust

and steel wheel turbos

all on a 1600km fresh engine!

stripped the engine today and found ..........2 screws loose in the back of the oil pump ....surprise surprise!...Also a degree of blow by past the rings is evident so I guess they have gone soft...this could be costing be a small amount of power I guess....anyways its one of those just in time jobs I think. Could have been a blown engine if I had put those HKS GT-SS turboes on and just ran it like that.....

MIke

• 1 month later...
10-11psi of boost.

stock dumps, upgraded front pipe & exhaust.

Interesting, both cars appear to make the same sort of power (within dyno variance, and small difference between dumps).

How many kms has your car done, and have you had a comp test on it at all?

cheers :D

My engine has done 240,000kms or so. The timing and fuel is very conservative on the tune to look after the old motor.

I haven't done a compression test to check things out yet. I guess I am happy enough that the engine is starting every morning with the number of kms on it. :)

I have a feeling that the dumps are restricting it a little but, overall it's a very nice car to drive in. The power delivery is great and I also have a trust lightweight pulley kit and an electric fan replacing the pulley driven one to sharpen up the engine response a little.

Just curious... I want to put some cams on to increase the torque and mid range.

My Power Mods -

Power FC + HC

Full Exhaust (hi flo cat, split dump, very free flowing exhaust)

Stainless Turbo to AFM Pipe

Shielded Pod Filter

600x300x75 FMIC

12psi

HKS Exhaust cam gear set at 0 degrees

Stock Turbo, stock motor, stock everytyhing else.

Heres my dyno -

209rwkw.jpg

I want to get a set of tomei cams, but the problem is I know nothing about cams...at all.. I know they can make the car idle rough, but that isn't too much of a problem for me. I just want all that torque.

So... does anyone have any educated suggestions?

I also want to accomodate for a bigger turbine later on down the track...

HI THERE guys, got my engine back from the machinists this week, time to put it all back together and put it back in the hole with the new HKS GT-SS turboes :D

will keep y'all posted with the progress and most importantly the power....

Mike

and my trust dumps,GT-SS turbos, and tomei cams are in the car! just have to fit a few more things and we are up and away!!!!

more to follow once I get it all together!

rubs hands with anticipation... hope to see some good results - I want to go GT-SS or 2530's next year :cheers:

yep cams are here! and are on the car!!!! now just finishing off the install, and will be off to bolt on all the other gear shortly....

first stop will be unifilter to make up some pods for the RB20 AFMS and a heat shield

then the fun begins with uncle morgs and I bolting on the other crap to make this monster all work!

full report to follow!