SAU Community

lagging turbo...

Guest IJST8U

Hey guys hoping someone can help me out here, i got an R33 '95 Skyline it is A1 externally/internally no body damage and the mechanic that just changed my clutch said that it is one of the cleanest his seen but...

When I m givin it some stick and it get's to 5000rpm it just completely dies in the ass until about 6000rpm (i have only tried to push it past this a couple of times and it picks up like crazy again! What would be causing this lag between 5-6000rpm? It mainly only happens in 4th and 5th gear... I mean my mates VP clubsport can beat me atm :)

Also I m idling very low like 400-500rpm and usually after it has been running 4 a while it'll stall when i come to a stop... I have read of this happening before an i think it was the air control valve near then plenum?...

Please help I want to beat my mates clubby! :)

Does this happen since before you had the clutch changed or only happens recently after the clutch was changed?

That might narrow down the cause of ur problem.

I use BP ultimate as advised by most of the people on this forum...

in regards to your quote "In 4th Gear and 5th would suggest to me that what happening is the typical R33 ECU pulling out timing" how would i go about rectifying that?

no i don't have a FMIC I m working on that

yeah it's the same in all weathers and my exhaust is i'm not sure what brand :Oops: but very big loud and shiny and sounds really sweet. (I really need to learn more about my car!!!) The exhaust is huge all the way through I know this after looking under it whilst it was on the hoist getting the clutch put in.

happened b4 i got the clutch and the same now I think it deffinately needs a service and from reading a few threads in here i think i deffinately need a full service and maybe the spark plugs replaced...

I have to say though since getting the clutch replaced I have noticed a big difference in the cars performance.

check ya plugs, if they are old, get new ones. If they look pretty good then check the gaps, and make them 0.8-0.9 (try 0.9, if it's still there try 0.8) if they are already gapped to 0.8 then ****, i dunno!

--

Andrew

Guest MFX_R33

Sounds like yet another Skyline coil pack problem. You can check the coil packs by getting another one and then proceed to swap it one at a time and ckeck it, or even better if you know someone else with a Skyline swap all the coil packs from them and if it dead spot is gone you have found your problem.

Jeff.

IJST8U are you from Central Coast NSW as in Gosford?

The coil packs are found under the cover on top of the engine. They are directly connected to the spark plugs. Remove the nice looking black cover from the top of the engine and they will be revealed.

Not hard at all even for non-mechanical people like me :)

IJST8U

Ive had some similar probs with mine when i first got it.

Do you have a BOV? if youve got vent to atmosphere one, then that could be a prob causing the stalling. BOV's can cause little problems that might not even have you think about the valve itself!

do you have a bleed valve?? if so try turning your boost down.

it sounds like the stock ECU pulling timing to me. Mine did it when it was cold weather, like at night. It also did it just after i fitted a front mount intercooler. Apparently air was getting in from somewhere and confusing the ECU, causing power dropping off, then suddenly surging back on.

Lastly, have your throttle position sensor checked out.. I had some really weird idle probs which were cured by a slight adjustment.

Although im no expert at coil packs, i dont think it is those. For one your car is a 95. The fact that many hard driven 1989 32's are still firing fine shows their reliability, and i read that age is their main enemy. And you say it is worse in 4th/5th gear. To me this would indicate an air related prob -> =ECU is the cause. It also makes coil packs as the suspect even less likely.

Also you say that the power comes back on and pulls like crazy. So the packs are delivering voltage to your plugs fine. If it were the coil packs, then multiple packs would need to be faulty for the car to "die in the ass". One pack maybe, but the chance more than one has gone is next to nothing. (if im wrong let me know!)

Put it down to a faulty/confused ECU or an air leak. Thats most likely.

You didnt say whether youd taken the car to anyone? rock up at a performance centre and ask their opinion, easiest way to go

:) no expert myself, but have learnt a lot during my short time owning a line :burnout:

Sounds like stock ECU commanded timing retard. Except it would be it in all gears not just 4th & 5th. Coil pack? I wouldn't have thought so? As it comes good from 6k onwards.

Does it flatspot in the same rev range every time? i.e. it's always ~5k it dies & ~6k it comes on strong again.

What mods have been carried out on the engine?

IJST8U, are you running with the stock airbox? You wouldn't believe the problems I had with the stock airbox, and yes, one of them was running like buggery 5000rpm+. Try going for a quick squirt with the top of the air box off and see if it makes any difference.

Otherwise, its definantly the dreaded igntion retard problem, and only a S-AFC or other ecu is going to fix that.

I've done some cutting and slapped a 100mm PVC piping that goes in to the stock airbox. All neat and tidy painted black etc.

It sound a hell of a lot gruntier now with the roar that is made on full throttle.. :)

yeah sorry bout the late replies, i have nothing done to the engine really... no BOV looking at getting one soon but overall the car is just standard and clean I m looking at getting an S-AFC soon just need the funds...

I haven't takin it to anyone yet will soon once again just a cash issue.

Guest (_W.4.S.P._)

5_to_6 grand in 4th 5th ... ,, by that stage in close to LOTS OF SPEED ,,look @ ya timing belt ?? ,, ,,,some mech's will advance ( for take off ) or retard ( for high end ) ? .. just an idea ?

I know what this problem is. Happend to me. Change the plugs to .6 gap and the problem will go away.

I did it the day i found out and it fixed it straight away.

Thanks HITMAN for giving me the info...

Originally posted by Gradenko

IJST8U, are you running with the stock airbox? You wouldn't believe the problems I had with the stock airbox, and yes, one of them was running like buggery 5000rpm+. Try going for a quick squirt with the top of the air box off and see if it makes any difference.

Otherwise, its definantly the dreaded igntion retard problem, and only a S-AFC or other ecu is going to fix that.

Happened to me too. The stock airbox or the blitz filter element I was running was restricting the airflow at high RPM and causes the engine to retard (ie: car would stop pulling till I changed gear). I fitted up a HKS super power filter and all is fine now. I run 0.8bar of boost with 1.1mm or 1.0mm gapped plugs and I havent experienced any misfires or flat spots.

Rob