SAU Community

300zx?

The Jake

I realise this is the wrong forum and may get me cained but mechanically speaking, what are 300ZXs like? I know they go fast and I know they're a dime a dozen but I found on that looks clean us, mechanically sound with a full service history, etc. It looks immaculate and like everything I could want in a car. Just wanted to ask all the Nissan heads here and see what the general concensus is on these cars as a whole.

I realise everyone will be biased towards the Skyline but this car I've found is a damn good buy.

Thanks,

- J.

I've heard from some that they r bit hard to service and replace engine parts due to tight engine bay..and bit hard to source parts. And early models tend to have problem with dash lifting where windscreen meets the dash.

I personally think the 300zx is a great lookin car.

the 300zx is a great car, but you have to take care of the engine, cause it'll cost you big $$ to fix, the engine is ment to take 8 hours to get out. If you get a good one and take care of it, it will be a great car.

Is the one your looking at have Twin Turbos?

the 300zx is a great car, but you have to take care of the engine, cause it'll cost you big $$ to fix, the engine is ment to take 8 hours to get out.  If you get a good one and take care of it, it will be a great car.

Is the one your looking at have Twin Turbos?

Yes it is the TT. Why is that?

- J.

Jake, still doesn't compare to the GTR you were looking at, 2 different classes of car :)

personally i think the look is dated, looks like an 80's sports car... but each to thier own.

the VG30DETT are a very hard motor to work on with very limited space in/around the engine bay + are always needing tunes to be done once u put a little boost under em size is A big prob as is driveability when trying to park as u have BIG blind spots from the size of the door/pillar's

areas to watch on the body are if its a targa (being a TT it would be a Fair Lady with Targa roof) is the drains in the roof & watch the rust around em also the under side of the targa roof around the seals get rust under the seals (what Year Mod is it??)

Tappet cover leaks are almost always there & TPS probs are common the 300Zx's run the same set up as a R31 with the air flow system The "Hot Wire" ones

thats all I can think of at this time

but yeah over all there not a bad car if u like the big old sports cars :rant:

I was looking at one a little while ago the old shape this is the one in the pic

• 4 weeks later...

Meh, most skyline owners will bag the Z. Having driven them I'd say that if it wasn't for them being a pain to work on I would have got one rather than my 'line. Standard, the Z feels faster & more stable in corners than any standard 'line I've driven.

'206'kW (closer to 230 on an engine dyno), 390Nm at usable rpm, low centre of gravity, leather interior (on some), wide track, T-tops (on some), etc.

Unfortunately, as said before, they will be more expensive to maintain & drink a bit more Ultimate than your average 'line

they're excellent cars as long as you keep everything running in good order service wise. Not quite as reliable as an RB and like the guys here have stated they eat a lot more juice than a average RB.

I'm driving my mates TT 2seater manual atm and there no lightly modded Skyline that will come close to it even handling wise.

Just don't try and it a Zed sideways as they're not quite as controllable in those conditions compared to a Skyline!

My sister used to drive a TT 300zx. DAMN it was quick. just light mods, fmic, exhuast, boost controller etc.

Overheating is a big issue due to the size of the engine bay, and manual gearboxes in the 300zx are shit house, need to shift pretty easy. Other than that, with a sweet veilside kit and some fat rims, i would take one over a GTST anyday, over a GTR well thats a different story!!

I've driven a few, here are a few words that sum up my thoughts:

great fun,

quick,

dated model, bit still look cool

many poor design features (overheating and suspension problems),

expensive to maintain,

totally useless unless your only have yourself and a passenger to transport,

heavy,

cheap for such a quick car,

very hard to find a good one,

bit like an way overweight go-kart.

impossible to work on unless you have a hoist (can't even change oil yourself).

Rubbish JCM, there are good one out there, thats like saying there are no good GTST's out there as they have all been thrashed. And believe me some people have actually said this when I was looking. Yeah they are a little squeezy to work on and the first ever prob I had was with the radiator but that was cause the dum arse who owned it before me used just water and no coolant, DERRRR. Yes you have to maintain and treat them well but so does a Skyline if you want it to last. Skylines aint that light either in reality but neither are as heavy as a V8 flabadore. I can tell you they 300s look great go hard handle awesome and have some style. The gearboxs I hear from reliable sources are as strong as hell.

• 4 months later...

They're awesome cars. I have an auto TT 2+2.

I personally think they leave all skylines for dead in the looks department.

If you buy one that has been looked after (bit of luck helps) then you won't have any extra issues than your average 15 year old car. Keep up on the maintenence and you'll be fine. I wouldn't buy one unless you are a car enthusiast and preparred to spend money on it and not skimp on things.

The interior rules, I love the layout. Much nicer looking that most cars. The targa top is wicked and who cares about the lack of room - it's a sports car :rofl:

im considering one of these aswell...

the things im concerned about are the cost of modifications and how they're apparently so hard to work on.

because they're twin turbo, im guessing that means 2 exhausts, one off each turbo... double the cost there...

upgrading the intercooler... im guessing there isnt any / many off the shelf items to suit the twin turbo unless you make up a collector before the intercooler's inlet

and also... upgrading the turbos, im guessing this will be an expensive process too... have many people tried a single turbo set up?

is there a piggy back computer going around for them?

so is 206kw the power rating for them? on drive.com.au it said 155kw for the turbo and 168kw for the n/a? seemed a bit funny to me!

sorry about all the questions!

mat

I've driven a few, here are a few words that sum up my thoughts:  

great fun,  

quick,  

dated model, bit still look cool

many poor design features (overheating and suspension problems),  

expensive to maintain,  

totally useless unless your only have yourself and a passenger to transport,  

heavy,  

cheap for such a quick car,  

very hard to find a good one,  

bit like an way overweight go-kart.  

impossible to work on unless you have a hoist (can't even change oil yourself).

Being the owner of a Zed, I can personally say that I have loved every minute of owning the car. I have pulled the motor for service/upgrades, as well as replacing the rear subframe/suspension components due to a minor incursion with a curb (bad luck in the rain). I have an NA, but it is a slicktop. Since you guys have access to slicktop TT's, I wouldn't pursue the T-Top models unless you really like the sun. The hardtops are more of a purists car, and offer better handling obviously. I don't really care for the T-Top models anyways. Plus, I think the fact that the Z32 was made for nearly 10 years speaks for itself.

Bottom line, is that you really really have to love the Z to enjoy it, as well as put up with its everyday quirks...I have, and it has been very rewarding so far

........but I would kill for an R32...you lucky b@&$^%rds!! :P

• 3 weeks later...
the VG30DETT are a very hard motor to work on with very limited space in/around the engine bay + are always needing tunes to be done once u put a little boost under em size is A big prob as is driveability when trying to park as u have BIG blind spots from the size of the door/pillar's

areas to watch on the body are if its a targa (being a TT it would be a Fair Lady with Targa roof) is the drains in the roof & watch the rust around em also the under side of the targa roof around the seals get rust under the seals (what Year Mod is it??)

Tappet cover leaks are almost always there & TPS probs are common the 300Zx's run the same set up as a R31 with the air flow system The "Hot Wire" ones

thats all I can think of at this time

but yeah over all there not a bad car if u like the big old sports cars :rofl:

I was looking at one a little while ago the old shape this is the one in the pic

update :) I now have a Z31 300zx :D c pic :wassup: soon to have new wheels fitted too fingers crossed :headspin:

• 2 weeks later...