SAU Community

Crunching when changing gears..G/box oil change maybe?

Hi,

I have a '96 R33 Skyline Series II and when I change gears from 3rd to 4th and from 4th to 5th, it crunches... even when I drive it nicely. It used to only do it when going from 3rd to 4th... Would a gearbox oil change be the first thing to perform (can you do a oil change in the gearbox?)?

Also, I supposedly have a Patrol clutch in my car (thats what the import car yard I bought it from told me). Also, this crunching came was evident from the dealer.

any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Steve

ok, firstly find where the fill bolt and the drain bolt is and try and undo them alittle just to make sure you can get them off.

then get yourself 5L of gearbox oil ( depends on howmuch you want to spend )

you could try that nulon gearbox treatment stuff, its meant to help with gear changes.

drop the oil and fil it back up with the new stuff and the treatment and see how you go.

Hi,

I have a '96 R33 Skyline Series II and when I change gears from 3rd to 4th and from 4th to 5th, it crunches... even when I drive it nicely. It used to only do it when going from 3rd to 4th... Would a gearbox oil change be the first thing to perform (can you do a oil change in the gearbox?)?  

Also, I supposedly have a Patrol clutch in my car (thats what the import car yard I bought it from told me). Also, this crunching came was evident from the dealer.

any suggestions would be great.  

Thanks

Steve

When i had a crunching noise when changing from 3rd to 4th i tried changing the oil but it didn't help, It ended up being a stuffed 4th gear syncro which was easy enough to change when i had the box rebuilt :)

Its probably not want you want to hear but this is the only way to completely fix the problem...

Just out of interest if you consciously press the clutch in, wait half a second to a second then change gears does it go ok then?

If so climb under the car and get someone to hit the clutch for your a few times to see if the slave is moving. It might not be engaging/disengaging properly.

That what was grinding gears for me chronically - turned out the slave was never screwed in properly and it had 1 half undone bolt holding it in.

Otherwise drive nicely and rev match to change gears like I do (till i get my box rebuilt).

sounds to me like your clutch isn't dissengaging fully, or 'dragging'. This is causing your crunching when changing gears because the clutch is sticking and not fully lifting off. Get your clutch point taken up (fairly simple you can do this yourself). If you are due for a gbox oil change throw in some castrol vmx80 + nulon g70 treatment. Whats the condition of your clutch like? do you think it might be due for a replacement/worn out? Same thing happened to my clutch, changed gearbox oil etc but turned out to be a wasted clutch even thought it wasn't slipping, just dragging.

After how many km's do u have to drop the gearbox oil ?

What brand is vmx80?

The last time time i changed my fuel filter was at 60,000km i just changed it now at 100,000km goes much harder now. i cut open the old one...it was dirty as hell..all brown shit in it and build up of particles.

I recently changed my fuel filter i used coopers brand ...$6.00

and oil filter.........................................coopers brand......$9.00

and dropped the engine oil.......Fuchs (german oil )10w 30......$49.00 5 litres

-Synthetic oil-

I thought I give the Fuchs oil a go. The last 5,000km oil changed i used Valvoline 10w 30 not synthetic,

which i bought at $28.00 and i noticed the oil was very black.

I usually use the Conoco Philips oil which i noticed gives me a good repsonse in power after an oil change, it becomes more responsive i found .

So far the Fuchs oil hasnt really done much at the moment power wise.

i got the same problem when shifting in the higher rev range change oil to redline shock proof syn didn't make much of a difference but ive been told clutch adjustment could get rid of the problem

sounds easier than getting the box rebuilt any one know of a gear box place thats good just in case