SAU Community

Need Advice - ATP

GroundRun

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone from here has had dealings with this shop, how's their work proven on skylines ect ect ect. I am planning on getting them to highflow my turbo, I got quoted $1500.00.

This is what I have heard, they are a good shop that knows their turbos, altho a bit on the pricy side of the board. But then again, you get what you pay for. Remarks or comments?!?!

Nick

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was speaking to a reputable tuner regarding the highflow turbos and was told not to go down that path as he has seen quite a few cars come in witht a highflow on the verge of a dead motor... i cant remember the exact reason why, as it pretty much we over my head..

I like to know as well though as people say they are great and others say to stay away... very confusing..

I have only heard good things about the GCG turbos though.....

Hope that helps.

...as he has seen quite a few cars come in witht a highflow on the verge of a dead motor

the verge of a dead motor? as in, did the person have the supporting modifications to support the higher boost applications? or do a backyard job and just up the boost in hope that "shell be right"?

I've dealt with Kyp and currently run one of his "stage 1" (as he puts it) highflowed turbos.

The benefits of this is its a straight swap, you can do this at home with no need for modified exhaust/oil(slight)/water lines.

As effective as the turbo has been, the thurst bearing did die on me after a track day and was suspected that the oil feed line was not big enough to supply the turbo core with enough oil. So make sure this is sorted as it costed me $800 to repair.

As the stock turbo is ball bearing, the oil feed line has to be modified (Done by Kyp when you do the swap) to deal with the high needs of oil from the bushbearing core Kyp replaces it with.

The other upside is, the turbo looks like a factory item as it uses the same exhaust/compressor housings...so consider yourself when you get that nice EPA notice in the mail requesting you make an appearance at McClode for a full inspection, theyll be none the wiser when they look at the turbo. And trust me, theyll know what theyll be looking at if theres HKS stamped on the side of it :)

If i had the choice again, based on the amount of EPAs ive gotten in the past, id probably go with the path again, especially for a street car.

If it was cheaper, i belive itll be alot more popular as for $1500 you can get a decent "named brand" second hand turbo if your lucky, but then thell be other costs as chances are intake/exhaust/oil/water lines will need to be modified to suit.

BUT, itll second hand turbo, but with Kyps highflows..its basically a brand new turbo (new wheels, new core, cleaned and prepred housings)

The choice is yours

dont get me wrong, im not having a go at Kyp, im simply letting people know what i was told when i did the ring around about ATP..

With almost anything in life you have both good and bad reviews... in this case i agree with most people just slapping the turbo on and having the "sheel be right" attitue. These sorts of reviews i tend to ignore as it is not a true indication of how the turbo setup would run.

The comment i made about the 'dead motor' was more to do with the turbo itself and not the way it was tuned... if you would like to know the tuner i called, please PM me. (the exhaust housing being too small was the reason?? i may be way off but as i said, what he said went over the top of my head)

Kyp recomended Genesis to tune the car so i would say give them a call and see how the different stage highflow setups work from a their point of view.

Whistla:

How did the stage 1 go on your car? performance wise, was there a decent amount of power to gain?

I would suggest that you contact Johnson Performance Centre which is in Lalor. Highly regarded as one of the leading modification workshops in Melbourne and my personal experience has been fantastic. They also have a dyno facility in house. They also do turbo highflowing.

Call them and say you have been quoted 1500 and can you do better? This will bring the price down if they want the job.

Groundrun,

I've had an ATP stage 2 highflowed turbo in my 'line for about a year now......great power gain for the money BUT ensure you have the usual safeties like FMIC, high flowed pump etc etc BEFORE boosting. Power at stock boost/stock turbo = approx 150rwkw

Power after stage 2 16psi/high flowed turbo = 210rwkw

Whistla:

How did the stage 1 go on your car? performance wise, was there a decent amount of power to gain?

I currently run a safe 236rwKw (Amberley Auto Dyno)

But bear in mind, i had all the supporting modifications before this turbo went on including forged pistons, injectors, ecu and what-not included to get this figuer

Theres more in it, but i lean on the side of reliablity/longevity rather than outright power

Whistla: thanks for the heads up about the oil feed line. I'll be sure to look into this futher. How much would this cost to replace/modify while installing the turbo. Thing is, I will be basically be just buying the turbo from Kyp, as he says he doesnt have enough time to get this done b4 Christmas. So i'll have to look into finding someone else that can get the oil line.

QuickR33: I'll be giving them a ring just to get a quote, anyone in particular I should speak too? BTW I just did a search on yellow pages but couldnt find anything, would u happen to have the number lying around anywhere. Thanks

ANT95GTR: At this point all I want is for the car to be back on the road. I do have a front mount and ECU so the tuning can be done, I do realise that for more power (over 200rwkw) I will be requiring a better fuel pump and injectors so that'll come in time, or more correctly when i have the funds.

AdzMax: Currently, well before the turbo blew I had 188rwkw (Dynamic) tuned by Protek. At this point I started to run the injectors very near to their limits to they decided to stay put at this figure. Obviously not very safe with the situation I landed myself in, oh well this happens. I'll keep track of all the stuff done and post up the results, i'm sure there are many 34 owners out there that are interested with the outcome.

Thanks heaps for all your replies.

Nick

GroundRun: This is a "turbo swap" arrangement with Kyp yes? as in, you give him your blown turbo in exchange for the new one?

If thats the case, and someone is taking the turbo off for you (its possible to do it at home with the right tools/patients :) ) Kyp usually asks you to bring the oil feed line (the one with the big loop in the middle of it) so he can modify. This is part of the cost of the turbo swap.

What he does it drill a bigger hole where the banjo bolts go in...Im not exactly sure what Amberly Autos did more to mine as he said the original modification was'nt enough to feed the turbo oil.

Although, i know a few people that have the same turbo/set up and have had no problems whats so ever...so i gather Kyp just didnt do my properly. Im a forgiving person though :)

Yeah what is going to happen is i'm suppose to give Kyp my turbo, however i didnt mention anything about the oil line. I'll have to call him up on monday to confirm.

Turbo Swap: NO, He already has the internals made up (he showed me the set) so all he needs to do to bore out my housing a bit and replace my internals with the ones he has already done up.

LOL @ forgiving person. Thanks again buddy.

Nick

dont get me wrong, im not having a go at Kyp, im simply letting people know what i was told when i did the ring around about ATP..  

The comment i made about the 'dead motor' was more to do with the turbo itself and not the way it was tuned... if you would like to know the tuner i called, please PM me. (the exhaust housing being too small was the reason?? i may be way off but as i said, what he said went over the top of my head)

? someone told you a turbo killed a motor and you beleive that?

the turbo wont cause a motor to blow. Tuning and other things will. Thats one of the most basic concepts

Anyhow, personally, when you can buy a proper Garrett roller for no more than 2k these days, i dont know why people bother with high flows that sometimes dont work as they are a nasty concotion of parts.

Generally speaking a high flow is just maching out a housing to fit bigger wheels. Some people change housings too etc as some places have a different idea of what hi-flowing is for their needs.

Some of the smaller HP Garret BB turbo's, with integral gates fit with little modification needed.

Probably just get a teflon oil feed line made up with costs about $30 + fittings (they are cheap)

Thats right Nismoid. I will be getting the centre cartridge. All that i'll be reusing is my housing, everything else will be changed. Anyways yeah I know I could get an aftermarket Turbo for about 700 hundred or so more but my whole reasoning for this is because of EPA. I mean I dont have a workshop or even a garage so I dont want to be having to spend a couple of hundred dollars everytime i get EPA'd. Its more of a "I dont want problems with EPA" attitude.

Where can I get that teflon oil feed line?

EPA? The EPA wont know if your using a sligtly bigger Garrett item or a high-flow as long as your using the stock manifold and stuff like that as dimensions are very similar

They are 99% more inclinded to pick you for an ECU & having bigger injectors, etc etc.

A turbo thats bigger by a few Cm's aint going to be noticed as its still low mounted.

Hell, i've jammed a GT30 onto mine and you can barely even see the turbo housing.

Let alone how big it is. The EPA are not going to pull my motor out to get to it

I got my teflon line made @ Enzed in Tullamarine, its a hose fittings place.

Just make sure you know how much you need :(

EPA will spot a different turbo the moment they open up that bonnet Ash...

I had my heat shielding off as it was f**ked on mine, and they had a GOOD looking over when i went to get a full inpection. As in, stuck their heads right down there to have a look at the housings.

:(

Its gay, i know

word of advice - Don't openly talk about any performance mods you may have on your car to the EPA guys. They will happily stand there listening to you tell them all about your lovely boost controller, fuel computer, upgraded fuel pumps, injectors, how much power you make, etc. Then slap a nice orange sticker on your windscreen with 30 days to return the car to stock or get a full ADR47 emissions test done which costs around $2500. They can also instruct vicroads to suspend your registration if you dont comply, and vicroads will just do whatever they are told. EPA has the higher authority.