SAU Community

Best replacent panle filter for stock air box?

EvilINGT

Hi

Just wandering if anyone would know what the best replacement panel filter for a stock airbox on a SII R33 GTS25T would be. I can get:

Unifilter - $65

HKS - $70-90

K&N - $150?

I only have a 3in straight through muffler and upgraded clutch and run 10psi boost. Everything else is stock. Btw i live in Broome, high heat and a lot of dust stop me from deciding on a pod filter.

Any help would be appreiated.

cheers

Ice

The K&N would probably be your best bet I would say. They are not only the leaders in their field but they offer a one million kilometer warranty in most cases. It might only be 500000, can't remember. I would have no doubt that the HKS one was developed in Japan and would probably not be entirely suited to our climate, especially Broome of all places. How is it over there at this time of year by the way? Hot enough for ya?.

Would only buy the unifilter if I absolutely could not afford the K&N. They do make good filters though.

The short of it is this.

You can pay $150 for the K&N and never look after it and never clean it and it will be crap.

Any air filter has to be maintained and cleaned, these all can be cleaned, I guess it comes down to your budget in the end.

Oiled filters are illegal in most states. (Check with EPA in in your state)

If you were to use the oiled filter, you would need to clean it regularly under the conditions that you described.

Oiled filters have also been known to foul AFM's if over oiled.

Cheers guys

Some good info to think about. Probably go the K&N then.

Yeah 3LITE FORS3, nice and hot, probably between 30-34 right now, must be about same where you are are. Only 2 Skylines here and the others a black SI Coupe with a bit of work done, but scrapes on everything as our roads are crap. Ive actually had to wind the boost down to stock now, need to put octane boost in as no one here sells BP Ultimate just normal premium 95 RON :D.

Ice

Oiled filters are illegal in most states. (Check with EPA in in your state)

If you were to use the oiled filter, you would need to clean it regularly under the conditions that you described.

Oiled filters have also been known to foul AFM's if over oiled.

Good point.

Hahaha, benm i just say $150 cos i went into Autopro and they had to check prices, then rang me up at 8.30 in the morning (i work 10pm until 3am), and they have to get it up to broome, but maybe he was talking about a dodgy pod filter? Once again thanks for the info/opinions. I love SAU for stuff like this :D.

cheers

Ice